Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Australian league vs MLS

potato wrote:
I'd say the MLS plays football at a higher level, but this is because its a lot better established than the A-league. I mean they're signing Galacticos - David Beckham now. Considering the money owned by these MLS clubs, and their history of signing superstars in the old league (Pele, Beckanbaer etc) they're potentially and technichally better than the A-league. Nevertheless the A-league is improving at an incredible rate, it has a lot of potential. Australia in my biased perspective has a lot of talent, i mean we did incredibly in this past year. Football has really taken off!!!!

i'd really like to see a continuous spell between the MLS and the A-league, that would be interesting, how about some intercontinental action

America naturally has a larger access to funding etc with larger ownership, real sponsorship behind A-League clubs is yet to take off when you compare the financial differences between them.

Football really has taken off potato in recent years, although our fans tend to be a little on the "fickle" side of things (Melbourne victory hounding for Ernie Merrick's head after a poor season..wasn't he the coach in Season 1 as-well?!).

At the moment the A-League is all about growth, although there is slight concern that we do not "jump the gun" to such things as increasing A-League team numbers without necessary funding and a substantial home-grown player base to feed the new clubs with!!

We already have intercontinental action, such as the Hyundai A-League Club Challenge (Sydney FC vs LA Galaxy - 5-3, Wellington Phoenix vs LA Galaxy - 1-4). They should be returning next year if I am not mistaken?

You should all also look at the Pan-Pacific Championship that is due to take off in 2008 next year...it consists of reigning champions Houston Dynamo (used to live near there!!), LA Galaxy, An A-League team TBD, and J-League all-stars Gamba Osaka... http://www.ppchampionship.net/ and for a news-related article...http://a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=hal_newsdisplay&id=20744

I'm all for football in Australia, but my only reigning concern that let us not jump the gun just yet, think about crowd-levels, player-bases, player distribution, and the overall quality of the A-League right now, and in the near-immediate future.

And yes, it is something rzadzinski, that we can bring a big name such as "Becks" all the way out to Australia, and haul in a crowd of 81k or so (I was there, he's so hot..cough.. :P ) on a weekday...the atmosphere was great...the Cove is growing in numbers too...all fan & crowd-levels are...and when Galaxy came to Wellington...they broke their stadium record of 35k or so I believe...so yes...it is something to bring Becks out here to Aussie, a relatively young nation compared to the rest of the world in-terms of football, and put on a show for what was mainly a crowd of football-virgins, and convince the world that Australia really can do football..(not standing up for Phoenix going down 4-1 to Galaxy though; should've played the Jets against them!! :P )..

J

Alexio1092 wrote:
We already have intercontinental action, such as the Hyundai A-League Club Challenge (Sydney FC vs LA Galaxy - 5-3, Wellington Phoenix vs LA Galaxy - 1-4). They should be returning next year if I am not mistaken?

You should all also look at the Pan-Pacific Championship that is due to take off in 2008 next year...it consists of reigning champions Houston Dynamo (used to live near there!!), LA Galaxy, An A-League team TBD, and J-League all-stars Gamba Osaka... http://www.ppchampionship.net/ and for a news-related article...http://a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=hal_newsdisplay&id=20744

No offense, but these tournements have hardly anything to do about competition and everything to do about making money. The fact that LA are playing in any of these tournements half way across the world is just a joke and purely based on David Beckham. LA looked like a 2nd division college team at times this year in MLS and were the laughing stock of the league.

And beating the LA Galaxy after they had a 15 hour flight across the world during the off-season, isn't anything to compare the two leagues by.

J wrote:
Alexio1092 wrote:

No offense, but these tournements have hardly anything to do about competition and everything to do about making money. The fact that LA are playing in any of these tournements half way across the world is just a joke and purely based on David Beckham. LA looked like a 2nd division college team at times this year in MLS and were the laughing stock of the league.

And beating the LA Galaxy after they had a 15 hour flight across the world during the off-season, isn't anything to compare the two leagues by.

I'm still content that we're able to play against these teams and give the A-League a bit more of a global image, whatever the intention may be. I'm still dissapointed that a 350 Mill signing couldn't bring them Finals hope or glory though..

Didn't they have sufficient time to prepare for the two matches? I was sure that they were.. :?

Alexio1092 wrote:
Didn't they have sufficient time to prepare for the two matches? I was sure that they were.. :?

Yeah they just aren't very good.....