Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Chelsea vs Barcelona

who will go through
Poll ended at 27 Apr 2009, 18:54
CHELSEA FC!!!  43%  (9 votes)
Barcelona  57%  (12 votes)

ppl stop voting now,i forgot to put the date on the post,the game is over,be mature will ya
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

tevezaholic wrote:
ppl stop voting now,i forgot to put the date on the post,the game is over,be mature will ya

I have set the poll day to one and it should stop by then.

This is becoming a turf for hardcore fans. Please keep Ur comments neutral. We all know both sides suffered the wrong decisions by the referee, even the commentator said that. We have to move on and see the result in the final.

no but no one can deny that the ones on chelsea were worse than those wrong calls on barca,and its obvious the ref will try to even it out knowing he cheated,or let me say noticing that he made a mistake,cause no ref likes to be blasted
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

Chelsea were robbed but John Terry's mum has denied any involvement.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ratherton wrote:
Chelsea were robbed but John Terry's mum has denied any involvement.

Lmao i got that text to me yesterday, thats good that one.

Swine flu alert in west London: Police are rounding up around 40,000 chelsea fans for being pig sick.
i was made to ignite

Not to mention another 40,000 Francenal fans

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

soccer11 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
God damn it, is anyone else sick of seeing Man Utd win everything??? It seems like they just can't lose and they never suffer any key injuries. It must be easy being a Man Utd fan these days. I just hope Barca wins so we can have a different winner this time.

no, it's not that we don't suffer key injuries. Quite the opposite. This season has been filled with more injuries than I can remember. c.ronaldo in the beginning of the year, Owen Hargreaves all season with a knee injury. Our defense was depleted for a while to the point were we needed to play Johnny Evans on a consistent basis. I'm sure there's some others that I can't remember but we do have key injuries. We're just able to get through them.

Yeah but you have all your players healthy when you really needed them. You had a full healthy squad for the match vs Arsenal in the semi-finals.

Think thats coz Utd hav the cash, leading to the squad depth. Sad how they buy their way to trophies but yeah.

haha alright, buy our way to trophies. First, it's a business so everyone buys their talent.

Thats exactly wat I was saying. What I said was more aimed at football in general, that its jz bout cash now. Football is supposed to be a working class sport, but now its jz about money and buisness(with Utd being the leading club at it), which is sad.

Utd are good at merchanidising and finances, but the result is they're becoming more of a brand, less of a football club. (With Chelsea, Man City, etc following in their footsteps). Proper footy clubs like Liverpool and Barca maintain their traditional ways of working hard to suceed. It may be tougher, but in the end the success is more meaningful.

When Liverpool won the CCup, thier most expensive players were Alonso and Cisse, both totallin bout 30 mil. They relied on character and grit to win it.
When Man Ure won it their team cost more then a 150 million: (Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand)80;(Carrick Hargreaves Anderson Nani)>70.
They relied on the extra 120 mill to win it, or to put it more crudely, buy it.

Barca dun buy thier talent or so called superstars. Their key players (Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique, Puyol, Valdes) were all homegrown and nurtured. They dun buy them, they make an effort to produce them.

MUFC1994 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
God damn it, is anyone else sick of seeing Man Utd win everything??? It seems like they just can't lose and they never suffer any key injuries. It must be easy being a Man Utd fan these days. I just hope Barca wins so we can have a different winner this time.

no, it's not that we don't suffer key injuries. Quite the opposite. This season has been filled with more injuries than I can remember. c.ronaldo in the beginning of the year, Owen Hargreaves all season with a knee injury. Our defense was depleted for a while to the point were we needed to play Johnny Evans on a consistent basis. I'm sure there's some others that I can't remember but we do have key injuries. We're just able to get through them.

Yeah but you have all your players healthy when you really needed them. You had a full healthy squad for the match vs Arsenal in the semi-finals.

Think thats coz Utd hav the cash, leading to the squad depth. Sad how they buy their way to trophies but yeah.

And Barca didn't but all those superstars :roll: ..... Whatever wnderer you are very stubborn and I'll be laughfing my ass of when United butt rape Barca!!!! :lol:

try posting again when you're sober, you'll make more sense.

Wanderer wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:

haha alright, buy our way to trophies. First, it's a business so everyone buys their talent.

Thats exactly wat I was saying. What I said was more aimed at football in general, that its jz bout cash now. Football is supposed to be a working class sport, but now its jz about money and buisness(with Utd being the leading club at it), which is sad.

Utd are good at merchanidising and finances, but the result is they're becoming more of a brand, less of a football club. (With Chelsea, Man City, etc following in their footsteps). Proper footy clubs like Liverpool and Barca maintain their traditional ways of working hard to suceed. It may be tougher, but in the end the success is more meaningful.

When Liverpool won the CCup, thier most expensive players were Alonso and Cisse, both totallin bout 30 mil. They relied on character and grit to win it.
When Man Ure won it their team cost more then a 150 million: (Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand)80;(Carrick Hargreaves Anderson Nani)>70.

Barca dun buy thier talent or so called superstars. Their key players (Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pique, Puyol, Valdes) were all homegrown and nurtured. They dun buy them, they make an effort to produce them.

Half right - they did rely on grit to win the final but they have spent an absolute fortune on players with very little return. Houllier spent over £120m and couldn't win the title. Benitez hasn't been shy about spending money either.

ratherton wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:

Half right - they did rely on grit to win the final but they have spent an absolute fortune on players with very little return. Houllier spent over £120m and couldn't win the title. Benitez hasn't been shy about spending money either.

Well I only started watchin footy during the Benitez era so I can't comment bout the Houllier days. But you can't really compare over the whole tenure, otherwise I wud hav included Juan Veron(30 mil).

The only time Benitez has spended big was on Torres, and, sadly, Keane. The others were relatively small spending, which he balanced with selling. He may hav spent, but its still significantly lesser then Utd's.

Just to put things into perspective, In 2005 Final
Defense
Hypia 2.6, Finnan 3.5, Traore 500,000=around 6.6 mill, which is 5 times cheaper then Ferdinand.
Attack
Cisse 14, Kewell 5, Baros 3= 22 mill..cheaper then one Rooney

Benitez spends, jz lik other clubs, but he doesn't overspend, as obscenely as Utd. Anyway, my main point was, money is ruinin the game, with Utd leading the way.

On a lighter note tho, check out The Drog's newest soundtrack. Apparently, he can rap as well as act.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuZnAoZJ_g

i just got to say that wanderer thats a great sig and ratherton u should make a thread just for ur jokes lol and no worries,his mom will soon be one of us :P (not really but...)
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/soccer/212387-tom-ovrebo-threatened-didier-drogba-michael-ballack-could-face-uefa-punishment.html

If you scroll down a little there's a link to the penalty appeals from sky sports.

great video showing the appeals for penalties.. probably a bit biased coming from Chelsea commentators though..

I have to say that probably only the 1st one is a penalty, but then again, Porto player Hulk was in a similar situation in the 2nd leg against United when Tevez tackled him, but he was ignored.

The 2nd appeal on the video probably isnt a penalty.. and was probably Drogba's fault for not tacking the shot earlier. He had at least 3 touches to shoot but instead he took too long and Valdes snapped it up. The shirt pulling wasn't enough to cause him to lose balance or drastically hold him back because Abidal is only holding his shirt for a split second and only after he lets go does Drogba fall over because he knows Valdes will get to the ball first.

And personally i think the handballs aren't penalties, at least the first appeal isn't.. because i think he already had his hand in that position before Anelka kicked the ball into it.. Although you could easily argue this as it stops the ball from going to its intended path.

Anyway these are just my opinions.. and im not a Barca fan fyi.

The tackles werent penalties thats for sure, too much diving by Chelsea, the supposedly more physical side. Pique's handball for sure was a penalty, although you can see why maybe he didnt rule it, IMO it was a clear penalty. The handball at the end was 50/50, but seeing as i wanted barca to win im glad he didnt give it. Chelsea didnt deserve it by how they were playing anyway. They deserved 1 penalty IMO but i still reckon they can only blame themselves for poor finishing.

poor finishing and sitting back to defend instead of going for the jugular when Barcelona was a man down.

if Hiddink had allowed Drogba to play on the field in the last thirty minutes of the game after abidal was sent off, he could have scored or help in building up a goal (essien's goal started from a counter when drogba headed cech's kick back to malouda)

With Barcelona going all attack for the away goal and defending the resulting counter attacks desperately, Drogba was quite the frustration..........and thats excluding his diving antics. Surely he could have done something.

But no, for some reason, Hiddink decided to show respect for Barcelona's attack by having 9 defenders playing against a team with 9 outfield players. Why would one allow a team to attack when their strongest asset is their attack?

Perhaps the referee didnt hand out the penalties because he had already given Chelsea a lifeline by foolishly sending off one of Barcelona's best defenders and Hiddink wasted it. The pique handball incident happened right after too, which upon rethinking is the only valid penalty appeal. Ovrebo didnt want to put Barcelona at a further disadvantage.

In that case Barcelona fans would have been complaining "we got robbed" because the referee sent off Abidal thanks to Anelka's unintentional dive (read: clumsy trip)....and even bring in the referee's idiocy of giving Chelsea low number of cards (ballack really should have been red carded for his foul) despite almost 3 times the amounts fouls and henry's penalty appeal from the first leg.

If that had happened Pep would have been speaking how the referee and uefa conspired against them.....not Hiddink

There is no conspiracy, just a foolish referee

But I understand why Chelsea would feel they got robbed. The team was desperately defending the lead they took from a lucky goal.