Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

U-turn by UEFA

MUFC1994 wrote:
Nat_H wrote:
Fine the ref for making a bad call. That will make the refs more willing to punish the diver with the yellow. They won't ever go card-crazy because they get fined for making a bad judgment. Eventually this will discourage players from diving, or even embellishing any foul. That's an idea.

That's not really fair for the ref.....it's not against the rules for a ref to miss a call, it is against the rules for a player to dive. The player should be held responsible, not the ref.

Yeah, I agree. Nat, your solution is not very good. :P All refs will miss calls like that, it's to be expected. But a player trying to dive is all on the player for breaking the rules, for intentionally trying to mislead the ref. Don't fine anybody. Don't fine the ref, because it's not his fault, and the fine won't drive the message to the player. The best solution is just to look over each incident with consistency, and implement like, a two-game ban rule.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Eduardo scored the game winning goal for Arsenal today in a game he wouldn't have played in if the ban stood.

Croatianblood1 wrote:
Eduardo scored the game winning goal for Arsenal today in a game he wouldn't have played in if the ban stood.

Now THAT'S what I call controversy. ;)

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Rome_Leader wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:
Nat_H wrote:
Fine the ref for making a bad call. That will make the refs more willing to punish the diver with the yellow. They won't ever go card-crazy because they get fined for making a bad judgment. Eventually this will discourage players from diving, or even embellishing any foul. That's an idea.

That's not really fair for the ref.....it's not against the rules for a ref tto miss a call, it is against the rules for a player to dive. The player should be held responsible, not the ref.

Yeah, I agree. Nat, your solution is not very good. :P All refs will miss calls like that, it's too be expected. But a player trying to dive is all on the player for breaking the rules, for intentionally trying to mislead the ref. Don't fine anybody. Don't fine the ref, because it's not his fault, and the fine won't drive the message to the player. The best solution is just to look over each incident with consistency, and implement like, a two-game ban rule.

What is a good way to resolve the problem? We are NOT going to be able to stop players from diving. If a player dives and the ref cautions him, there's no foul, no penalty kick, no reason to ban a player, no one is punished besides the player at fault and his team. It is up to the referee to take action against diving. Sure, UEFA can threaten to ban players afterward, but that doesn't change the fact that a team was cheated out of a win by a dive.

Player should be held responsible. SURE! To the fullest extent of the law: a yellow card. It's the referees responsibility. The ref isn't being punished for a players action, he's being punished for his. The league is NOT in charge of player conduct on the field, but they are in charge of the referees they pay. A fine may be a bit much, but I still suggest that the problem can be solved by making sure players are punished ON THE FIELD.
ZIDANE THE LEGEND
Check out my Anaerobic Fitness Guide

Except it can be so hard to judge. If a player did dive it may not always be completely clear to the referee. And if a ref was ejecting someone who was actually fouled there would be a huge outburst.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

I believe the problem was originally caused by referees who didn't give fouls on players who stayed on their feet when fouled. As a result, players started to go down easily when contact was made to force the referee to make a decision.

This has evolved to simulation / diving / cheating and this is where we are today.

It can be resolved but the punishment given must be consistent and this will require strong decision makers at the top. It will also need the rich and powerful clubs to not throw their toys out of their pram when they are the ones punished. At present, we have neither stong leaders or rich clubs who believe they should be treated the same as everyone else so its going to carry on....unfortunately.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....