Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

AFL- Who here follows it?

for thoses who dont know, australian rules footbal is a sport invented by aussies played between 2 teams of 22 players on an oval a few times the the size of a soccer field. its sort of like rugby, netball, and basketball all mixed together and the point is to kick goals. anyway... where i live its a religion, its BIG!!!
so...Who do you go for and why? I'll start:
I go for the sydney swans because i come from sydney
my second team is the western bulldogs because theyre in the same area my dad lives in melbourne.
Sig by me

It's a shit sport, sorry to say Harry!!

This is World Football, not GAFL. :wink:

I'm from Oregon, USA so I had no clue what this was, so I went to youtube and watched some clips, and still have no clue what you're supposed to do. I looks like it might be one of the most confusing sports ever, but I guess it could be fun? Maybe one of the aussies on here can explain it to me, but it seems like to much is going on for me.

2brown347 wrote:
I'm from Oregon, USA so I had no clue what this was, so I went to youtube and watched some clips, and still have no clue what you're supposed to do. I looks like it might be one of the most confusing sports ever, but I guess it could be fun? Maybe one of the aussies on here can explain it to me, but it seems like to much is going on for me.

well, im canadian, but my gym teacher was an aussie, he taught it to us, it was fun, the only thinkg i didn't really like about it was the way of passing! anyway so theres 22 players, this is what the field looks like,,,

from wikipedia....

A goal is scored when the football is propelled through the goal posts at any height (including above the height of the posts) by way of a kick from the attacking team. It may fly through on the full or bounce through, but must not have been touched, on the way, by any player from either team. A goal cannot be scored from the foot of an opposition (defending) player.

A behind is scored when the ball passes between a goal post and a behind post at any height, or if the ball hits a goal post, or if an attacking player sends the ball between the goal posts by touching it with any part of the body other than a foot. A behind is also awarded to the attacking team if the ball touches any part of an opposition player, including his foot, before passing between the goal posts. When an opposition player deliberately scores a behind for the attacking team (generally as a last resort, due to the risk of their scoring a goal) this is termed a rushed behind.

If the ball hits one of the behind posts, the ball is considered out of bounds and no score is awarded.

A goal is worth 6 points whereas a behind is worth 1 point. The Goal Umpire signals a goal with two hands raised at elbow height, a behind with one hand, and then confirms the signal with the other goal umpire by waving flags above his head.
The team that has scored the most points at the end of play wins the game. If the scores are level on points at the end of play, then the game is a draw; extra time applies only during finals matches in some competitions.

fuck you

OFWGLLDGAF

its a gay sport and many people who play it are drug addicts and thugs

Im an Aussy but i hate AFL, i dont hate the sport so much but mainly the people who play it, especially where i live, and they all think footballs for girls. but thats because they dont know much about it.

truesocceroo wrote:

Your a little faggit, don't just come in here and flame other sports, this is exactly like rugby players bagging soccer, your no better than them at all.
If you actually had the decency to give the sport a try you might find that it gives you the same rush as footbally.
Don't be so naive.
Anyway, West Coast FOR THE WIN!!! :P
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime - Chinese Proverb

Quote:

truesocceroo wrote:

Your a little faggit, don't just come in here and flame other sports, this is exactly like rugby players bagging soccer, your no better than them at all.
If you actually had the decency to give the sport a try you might find that it gives you the same rush as footbally.
Don't be so naive.
Anyway, West Coast FOR THE WIN!!! Razz

Yep, of course i am a 'faggit'. Just what some bogan who plays AFL would say and spelt incorrectly. You dont see many soccer players like Wayne Carey or Ben Cousins, they are thugs really no offence but they have no brain they just bash people, like Barry Hall, punching people in the face off the ball hes a disgrace to Sydney and sums up the AFL.

I agree that Ben COusins and Barry Hall are thugs, but that shouldn't stop you liking the game. EnSoUl is right. Just give it a shot.

To AFL, I don't follow it as such, but I do enjoy watching it from time to time. I suppose I go for the Lions but I always pick the side thats NOT Melbourne, cause my step-dads family r from there and I love to see him lose.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

I dont hate the sport of AFL it is the players i dont like. NRL shits on it anyways.

You arrogant little sod, you can't judge any sport without playing it and evalutating the positives and the negatives, if I hear you bag one more sport without reason I am going to blow a fuse.
Oh, and due to the re-birth of national football (A-league) it is rumoured that one of the four codes will be extinct in a few years, which leaves me to guess that the NRL will perish due to lack of popularity world wide compared with the union, and AFL is too lucrative.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime - Chinese Proverb

How do you know i have never played it just because i dont like it. I know many people who have played football and hated it and many other sports for that matter. I dont know where you are from, but here in Sydney the NRL is still the biggest, although in most of Australia i know that the AFL is much more popular, i doubt the A League will ever take over until they develop a decent standard of play, so i doubt one will be extinct in the coming years, more like 20-30 years.

AFL is really fun. I used to hate it as i found it was to "stop-start" but seriously once you start playing it grows on you. I actually looked forward to my HPE lesson with my useless teacher and countless fat kids. Truesocceroo you're a little fuckhead me and EnSoUl know eachother and if I were you I wouldn't get on his bad side as he is bigger than 6 foot.
And truesocceroo you have no dick.

You sound like the little fuckhead to me actually mrplow. No one really seems to like you and you like to insult people every chance you get. You know EnSoUl i dont give a shit, hes over 6 foot that really scares me when im sitting on my computer, if he is actually going to track someone down for disagreeing with him on the internet then maybe he is almost as fucked up as you.

Truesocceroo you are the biggest cunt on this website. How old are you? 11? you fucking homosexual. I bet your shit at football too. Wah wah Daddy pushes me too hard, he got angry at me and hit me when i made the U11 division 3's.
Once again, truesocceroo - you have no dick.