Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

A few questions about the league

Always been thrilled by this coutnry, find it fascinating and it seduces me, i dont even know why, but whareber...

1-In this autralian league do you guys know what are the average salaries in the 1st division, the highest division?
2- How competive are the teams here? Could play as good as portugal, usa, brazil Spain leagues? or how good?
3- How long is the league?
4- Do the team have a lot of fans?
5- Thank you and sorry if its stupid

panchester07 wrote:
Always been thrilled by this coutnry, find it fascinating and it seduces me, i dont even know why, but whareber...

1-In this autralian league do you guys know what are the average salaries in the 1st division, the highest division?
2- How competive are the teams here? Could play as good as portugal, usa, brazil Spain leagues? or how good?
3- How long is the league?
4- Do the team have a lot of fans?
5- Thank you and sorry if its stupid

Well. if you're looking to come to Australia, you would definently be able to play decent football.

1. Well most of the youngsters (17-19 year olds) earn at least $600 a week (which is pretty good) in the A-league. You could play in the VPL (Victorian Premier league) or the NSW premier league and earn enough money to live off as well.

2. It will be a while before the A-league is good enough to compete with Spain or Italy. I beleive that the A-league can compete with the MLS and the J-League and K-League etc. If clubs become richer, then hopefully it will attract players and influence them more to see this great country. The A-league is getting better at an alarming rate, so hopefully it wont be too long.

3. What do you mean how long is the leagues? If you mean in duration, the regular season goes for around 5-6 months. Also, they play alot of friendlies, and theres the Asian champions league and Pan pacific Championship as well.

4. Yes the teams have good fans. Melbourne Victory have been labelled as the club with the best fans in the country. Usually we get at least 25 thousand turning up at the dome for Melbournes home games. Most of the other clubs get around 15 thousand turning up for their games. But you really cant expect thousands and thousands of fans. Australia has a really low population density.

5. No its not stupid, Im happy to help. If you have any other questions just ask.
Sig by me

hey Sydney FC beat the Galaxy, they could no problem challenge the MLS.

"Stand up for the Champions..."

germanfutboler13 wrote:
hey Sydney FC beat the Galaxy, they could no problem challenge the MLS.

We (Sydney) also lost to them 2-1 in that Hawaiin comp thing, they're in shocking form (creatively and technically) atm. Aren't the LA Galaxy the butt of jokes in the MLS? Pardon the ignorance but I thought that they were a laughing stock in America after spending so much dosh on Becks and finishing 5th or 6th out of 6. I understand that he was injured etc, it's just a question.

Americans latch on to idols quickly and he'll do wonders for the game while his contract is on (you think it'll go for the full length?), so I'm pro-Beckham atm. Is the MLS considering adding more teams to their league(s) as-well?

EDIT: About the fans and atmosphere part, it's bloody brilliant when you're sitting with the "dedicated" or "hardcore" fanatic section, Squadron for the Jets, the Cove for Bling (Sydney) FC (joking). I haven't seen flags and streamers and banners like that in the EPL lately, the atmosphere is fantastic but it's also majorly intimidating to those who want to get behind their team.

A large majority of the Squadron are drunks/drunken before they even get to the match, so if you're not 18+ watch out. :roll: I really enjoy hearing the Cove get behind their team, we need more lengthy songs that can last throughout the game, besides "Ref's a wanker!" and "Sasho's a girl's name". :P

What about that match when Sydney played Melbourne at the Dome and the Cove began throwing beer bottles at Mark Sheild?

The Melbourne victory supporters are really good though. If youre sitting close to them the sound is deafening. They have REALLY good cheers and the songs they sing are quite lengthy. They have this weird cheer where one end yells "Imbosel, Imbosel, Imbosel, Imbosel" and the other end yells the same back at them whenever a foul or something like that happens. And they ALWAYS chant the names of players when they get substituted. The victory supporters make an excellent atmosphere.
Sig by me

sweet australia rocks

panchester07 wrote:
sweet australia rocks

No question about it mate, we just need to improve amateur level football now. I'm coaching this year along with playing and the gap between amateur and state-league is increasing in my opinion, if you make state you'll be nurtured and taken care of, if you're playing amateur you're left out in the cold pretty much unfortunately. Whether this be a lack of funding or whatnot I'm not sure, hopefully the FFA documentation should contribute to better grassroots football in coming years, I'm envying that older aussies don't have the opportunities that these kiddies do. :wink:

Alexio1092 wrote:
Aren't the LA Galaxy the butt of jokes in the MLS? Pardon the ignorance but I thought that they were a laughing stock in America after spending so much dosh on Becks and finishing 5th or 6th out of 6. I understand that he was injured etc, it's just a question.

To answer your question to people that actually follow the league LA are the joke of the league (at least last season) not only because they spent so much on Beckham (who isn't even that big of a presence on the field IMO, at least not till he'll run at players), but that the have Donovan (who is a much bigger asset to the team and league IMO, from a performance standpoint, not who brings in more fans, and that crap). I also find it funny how they are having to buy really cheap less talented players because they can't afford higher level ones anymore. The team did better without becks, I'm not saying he was a terrible investment (he has helped soccer here), but not for that much money, and I think the league should spend more time trying to build home grown stars (players like Donovan, Altidore, ect.)

I can't really talk though because I support Real Salt Lake, at least till Portland gets a MLS team (which we better :twisted: )

Also I'd say A-league and MLS are on the same level

I also think that Donovan needs to tell the LA coach, owner, whoever that he should be reinstated as captain or else he quits, because it is complete crap that beckham just walked onto the team and became captain.

How does the Australia football system work for goin pro there? Do you, play amateur local clubs and jz wait for scouts from like Sydney FC or Melbourne Victory to scout you?

Wanderer wrote:
How does the Australia football system work for goin pro there? Do you, play amateur local clubs and jz wait for scouts from like Sydney FC or Melbourne Victory to scout you?

Where I live in the Hunter Valley (Rural NSW) there are no scouts mate, you can trial for Representative Squad (Hunter Hawkes) or the State Youth League at a younger age, but if you don't make that your chances are incredibly slimmer of making it to the 2HD/NBN State Leagues, basically you're left out in the cold if you don't make it from a young age mate, which is why alot of friends and I are seeking opportunities elsewhere overseas etc.

If you wanna turn pro here, her I suggest you start with the Nsw Premier league or the Victorian Premier League. Those are the big clubs which A-league clubs get rising talents from. Try clubs like Marconi (alot of Socceroos used to play for them in thier youth), Blacktown City Demons, Sydney United in Sydney. Or if you decide to go to Melbourne, try Altona Magic, South Melbourne, Whittlesea Zebras, Preston Lions etc.

Also try out for state and regional teams along the way, and consider the Australian, NSW, Victoria institutes of sport. In those competitions, you get to play against youth internationals.
Sig by me

im lovin it......

Are their a lot of foreign players playing in this league??

panchester07 wrote:
im lovin it......

not really, most foreign players are brasilians, rest are Aus and NZ
fuck you

OFWGLLDGAF

Davidson9 wrote:
panchester07 wrote:
im lovin it......

not really, most foreign players are brasilians, rest are Aus and NZ

Alot of notable players like Carlos Hernandez are foreign and not Brazilian mate, we signed alot of Brazilians at the start of this season and a majority of them were flops. We usually have pacific/oceanic region imports (including Asia, we have quite a few in there now), but naturally alot of the player-base is consisting of home-bred players (Aussies and Kiwis), which is great as it promotes the quality of Australian football and how it's always increasing, rather than forgetting about the quality of our youth and/or AIS graduates for imports.

Carlos hernandez is one of the best players in the A-league. He also plays for Costa Rica. Theres a few asian players the jets have Song, and Qld have Seo. All the teams have a brazilian except Perth Glory. But yes a large majority of A-league players are Australian, alothough I hope this improves soon.
Sig by me