Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Melbourne Victory to host Juventus FC!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ!!

Victory to host Juventus

Melbourne Victory has confirmed it will take on Juventus in a one off friendly match at Telstra Dome on May 30.

The 2006-07 Hyundai A-League premiers and champions have secured a prized match with the Serie A powerhouse on Juventus' tour of South East Asia and Australia. Juventus will play in Shanghai, Hong Kong and in Melbourne on its three match tour.

"We're very excited to have secured a game at Telstra Dome against Juventus," club chairman Geoff Lord said. "It will be a major spectacle, and a major sporting event for the whole of Melbourne."

"It's significant in two ways, firstly the fact the Juventus, one of the biggest clubs in the world, is coming here to play. Secondly, it fits into the club's ambition to host major international clubs on an ongoing basis," he said.

Football Federation Australia, the Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Australia, the Victorian state government and the two clubs have been involved with the deal along with the event's promoter MP and Silva.

The event will also be broadcast throughout the world, with MP and Silva also the television rights distributor for the Serie A. The Australian broadcast deal is yet to be finalised.

"For us this is a great celebration, and an opportunity to promote the city of Melbourne. This game will be going live to a massive TV audience in Asia, Europe and many other countries around the world," Victory CEO Geoff Miles said.

Miles confirmed the players have been asked to defer the start of their annual leave to compete in the match which falls nine days after the end of the group stage of the Asian Champions League.

"It's a great opportunity for our players to go out and compete against the world's best and we thank them for agreeing to take part. It's been a long campaign for them," he said.

Lord was hopeful that the match would attract a capacity crowd of 55,000 given the Victory's strong following and the strong Italian community in the city. He said the costs of holding the match would be met with a crowd of around 30,000.

Juventus manager Claudio Ranieri, who played in Australia for a touring AC Milan side in 1980, said he was looking forward to the clash.

"Melbourne Victory is one of the top teams from the A-League, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing the upcoming match in Melbourne," said Ranieri.

"The club also has a large pool of fans in Australia and we are looking forward to meeting our fans there."

Juventus has signed an agreement to include all high-profile players so long as they aren't called up to national squads ahead of Euro 2008. Five players, goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, midfielders Mauro Camoranesi and Diago, defender Zdenek Grygers and striker Vincenzo Iaquinta are likely to fall into that category.

--------

Link: http://sportal.com.au/football-news-display/victory-to-host-juventus-46871

Victory to win 1-0 with Nakamura on loan to score a replica goal like the one against Rangers yesterday. :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6U7uVu8CIcU&feature=related

I saw this on FSN and I was ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im definently going to this match, this is going to be absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!! Juventus is probably the biggest club to ever face an A-league team, we're gonna see how the A-league fairs against the best in Europe.

GO MELBOURNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
Im predicting Juventus to win 3-2 or something like that, with a long range goal from a hard angle by Kaz Patafta, and Archie to drive one in after a one two with Hernandez.

In the meantime, lets hope we can keep our ACL hopes alive. We conceded 4 goals at home to Gamba Osaka, I had the unfortanute pleasure of witnessing that at the Dome. I strongly doubt they'll beat Gamba Osaka in Japan in front 50 000+ Japanese fans, I think they might get knocked out of the group stage. But Im still going for em and hoping they'll win, COME ON BOYS!!!!!!!!
Sig by me

Just so you know, it sounds like something similar to what English teams do against MLS clubs. Unfortunately, the European players just don't care. :?
They won't be fighting like hell for victory is basically what I'm trying to say. :wink:

Not to be a downer or anything, it still should be a great game to see however.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

i think juventus will kick ass but it will be a mint game to watch, when is it.
i was made to ignite

i think what rzadinski said is right, a league teams are nothing to them, they will treat it as training probably. I could see it being close because juve will not play hard against melbourne like they do in the serie a. Juve should win, but it will be good for a decent club team to play in australia, i dont think we have ever had a good club team play in australia, correct me if im wrong.

truesocceroo wrote:
i think what rzadinski said is right, a league teams are nothing to them, they will treat it as training probably. I could see it being close because juve will not play hard against melbourne like they do in the serie a. Juve should win, but it will be good for a decent club team to play in australia, i dont think we have ever had a good club team play in australia, correct me if im wrong.

Yeah, when Sydney played LA, it was more of a big massive show with Becks coming down here and everything. But this is actually a serious opponent, although they may not play at full strength and give some of thier players a rest, this is really gonna test my boys.

Melbourne definently have players to give Juventus a hard time (Kaz, Archie, Muscy, Carlos, Danny etc.) but I dont expect Melbourne to win.

I would go home happy from the Dome if they at least got a goal though. Lately, they've been getting at least 2 goals every home game, so I expect them to get at least one.
Sig by me

doesnt matter i thought the bit at the bottom of the first post said they wernt in international squads so would play

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ScottyBoy wrote:
buffon isnt in the italy squad?

We're talking about Juventus.
Sig by me

i wouldnt really call LA a decent team, not bad but they lost to sydney and sydney by world football standards is a weak team. I dont know what its like in melbourne, but in sydney ive known people who have gone for juve for their whole lives before anyone had ever heard of the a league, i reckon if it was played here the support for juve would beat support for sydney by like 50000, because so many australians support them. It should be great in melbourne, they have much more passionate fans then sydney and i cant wait to watch match.

truesocceroo wrote:
i wouldnt really call LA a decent team, not bad but they lost to sydney and sydney by world football standards is a weak team. I dont know what its like in melbourne, but in sydney ive known people who have gone for juve for their whole lives before anyone had ever heard of the a league, i reckon if it was played here the support for juve would beat support for sydney by like 50000, because so many australians support them. It should be great in melbourne, they have much more passionate fans then sydney and i cant wait to watch match.

Yeah thats what I meant when LA came to play Sydney, it was more about Becks, and trying to get more media attention in the A-League. But this is actually about the football, and seeing how good we are.

There are quite alot of Juve fans here in Melbourne. One of the VPL clubs Whittlesea zebras, was formed by Italian immigrants who supported Juventus, thats why thier strips are exactly the same as Juves. I expect a lot of Juve fans to turn out for this. The crowd at the telstra dome is gonna reach at least 40 000 imo. Around 10 000 Juve fans, and 30 000 Melbourne fans.
Sig by me

THis......is gonna be........AWESOME!!! I so can't wait for this game and it will be a pleasure to watch. Is it going to be aired on Channel 10 or SBS? If it isn't I won't get to watch it...........DAM! Anyway, this match is going to be cool and if Muscat gets a penalty and misses I'm going to laugh.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

Dude, Muscat is the best penalty kick taker ever. Hes NEVER missed a penalty. I feel confident he get one against Buffon.

They're still negotiating the media coverage. If you're lucky, they may show it on free-to-air.
Sig by me

Had2bHarry wrote:
Dude, Muscat is the best penalty kick taker ever. Hes NEVER missed a penalty. I feel confident he get one against Buffon.

They're still negotiating the media coverage. If you're lucky, they may show it on free-to-air.

Gamba Osaka 2-0 Melbourne Victory
Binh Duong 1-4 Adelaide Utd. :P

I know but Muscats penalty skills would be put to the test against the best keepr in the world in my opinion. Actually I'd like to see him get one at all.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

Alexio1092 wrote:
Had2bHarry wrote:

Gamba Osaka 2-0 Melbourne Victory
Binh Duong 1-4 Adelaide Utd. :P

Wtf dude are you taunting me?!

Jk, Melbourne played terribly last night. They didnt flare up at all, Osaka had the upper hand most of the match. I was disappointed they didnt get a nice flowing game going on, they werent using space very much imo.

Kaz didnt really produce the spark that Merrick wanted he more just hung around the penalty box, which was a shame, he is one of my favourite players, I was hoping he would be producing some great assists and long range shots like he does at the Dome.

Tom Pondeljak was OK he certainly did add spark to Melbournes attack.

Billy Celeski has been a good signing from PG, he has some cool passing techniques, I'll never forget that backheel at the Dome :roll:

Nick Ward should have come off he didnt play too good, or at least Danny Allsopp, to bring on Nathan Elasi, our new signing from the NSW Prem league. With Archie out, I was hoping he would get a run.

I cant wait until Archie comes back from injury, we really need him, hes the kind of creative player we need to get behind a defence and set up a goal.

Anyway, Adelaide seems to have had a good run, they have experience in ACL after all, they're on top of group F.
Nathan Burns was on fire last night, he's bound to get signed by a European club, I hope he does, hes officially my new A-league crush :D In fact Im waiting for a cut of him right now for my SOTW entry.
Sig by me