Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Uefa Champions League final 2008/2009

Ji Sung Park will be marking Messi tightly like last year's semis. 1-0 looks like a possible scoreline.

fir_nev wrote:
Ji Sung Park will be marking Messi tightly like last year's semis. 1-0 looks like a possible scoreline.

Do you think Park will be able to mark Messi well this time around or will Messi still be very effective?

fir_nev wrote:
truesocceroo wrote:
To me it looked like a stupid challenge by Fletcher. Why would he bother with that when the score was as it was. I mean i understand that kind of tackle to save the game or something but damn. Anyway if he gets his red taken away then Abidal should have a good chance. Would be good to see Dani Alves play but hes got no chance.

Fletcher confirmed not playing in the final.

As a professional, Fletcher was right not to take his foot off the pedal. If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same. Even for rec football. I too got sent off for making those kind of saving tackles.

UEFA have no compassion.

How dare they reject a Man Utd appeal.

Its a fucking disgrace!!

Kakasgotskillz wrote:
Oh god, this better not turn into another "Barca is the best because I can write paragraphs among paragraphs about how good they are" kind of thread.

You cud hav jz said "shut up Wanderer" :P

meh Dani alves has not been showing that spectacular form for the past couple of games so it wont be that bad. Then again we need him because he is the only right-back we have and also because he is like the energizer bunny. Puyol will be expected to start for him. Thank goodness el capitan is so versatile.

I feel sorry for Abidal. He gets a red card and misses the CL finalm then he gets red carded again in the next game and misses the king's cup final tomorrow against athletic bilbao. Its aight though, Sylvinho will be the wingback doing the attacking in the final............its good cause his crosses are much more accurate than Alves, but the 36 year old aint no energizer bunny. Also, he refuses to foul a person (brazillian defender = classic oxymoron) which is a good thing cause cronaldo has very damaging free-kicks.

The injuries to Henry and Iniesta are a bit worrisome, more so for the former. Iniesta has been pound for pound our best player this season. Messi is amazing but Iniesta is clutch. Never an off game.

Messi on the other hand has had a dip in form.........except the game against madrid where he was on fire. Maybe Messi puts more focus on the big games. Hopefully that is true when the final comes along.

Iniesta has said he will miss the cup final but not the champions league final, so I am happy to hear that. We cant afford to not have ghostface killah on the field.

I am hoping Henry makes it back in time for the game too. Seriously......its the champions league final! Many have argued that Henry left captaincy at arsenal for the chance of winning a champions league at Barcelona. He has perhaps the last chance of winning that tile now and hopefully he will be back for the final. Plus we need Henry badly. He always scores the crucial equalisers and go ahead goals! Many will not believe but the fellow has scored 26 goals and 14 assists.........all from the left wing......thats right, we took a fantastic centre forward who was a flop on the wing and made him a blockbuster hit in the same position..........well considering his age ofcourse.

I really hope that Toure plays in midfield. Toure in the middle allows xavi and iniesta so much breathing space. However considering that we only have three defenders with champions league experience, Pep will have Toure partnering Pique in the middle or risking a talented but inexperienced defender against a solid team in one of the most nerve rattling games in his life........the choice is obvious. Both Pique and Toure, strong and tall players, will be used in the middle to cancel out the aerial attacks............admittedly our biggest vulnerability.

Keita will prolly play defensive mid instead of Toure. He was phenomenal and made intelligent passes against villareal last game.

Hopefully eto'o loses his touch of stone as well. Man united's will defend tightly and counter attack more intelligently than chelsea. Eto'o needs to have good control to finish any chance he gets.

Kakasgotskillz wrote:
Oh god, this better not turn into another "Barca is the best because I can write paragraphs among paragraphs about how good they are" kind of thread.

lmao i always write paragraphs among paragraphs no matter the topic

I think right now! Evra is the best left back on form! hate to say it as an arsenal fan... but i think messi is gonna find it hard against evra!

truesocceroo wrote:
fir_nev wrote:
truesocceroo wrote:
To me it looked like a stupid challenge by Fletcher. Why would he bother with that when the score was as it was. I mean i understand that kind of tackle to save the game or something but damn. Anyway if he gets his red taken away then Abidal should have a good chance. Would be good to see Dani Alves play but hes got no chance.

Fletcher confirmed not playing in the final.

As a professional, Fletcher was right not to take his foot off the pedal. If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same. Even for rec football. I too got sent off for making those kind of saving tackles.

As a professional you should not be making foul taclkes on the last man anyway unless you absolutely have to, you know its a straight red. I bet you if he thought about it for a second he wouldnt have done it.

He didn't foul the player, he won the ball. It was a mistake by the ref. UEFA will only rescind red cards for mistaken identity, not when the ref made the wrong decision - muppets.

Man U will win the final. Barcelona are a fantastic team going forward but they will miss Ineista and their defence is only average. Utd are a more complete team.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

My bet is Man Utd they are a better team, if the game is free flowing and attacking Barca will win but there is no way Manchester will allow it, we will see another dreary game, with at least one goal from a set piece or from a header, they are fantastic when it comes to that. I hope one day the Champions leage becomes good again, it is turning into another Premier League.

Does anyone noe whether Henry will be fit?

i think he should be fit,i dont know though,cause it seems a long while since he got that,whats it now like 3,4 weeks,was that injury serious?...on the other end ferdinand said he will be fit

i want barca to win,but i think manu will win.cause if chelsea played barca so well,imagine what manu can do now that dani alves and abidal are out,who will handle ronaldo,and that work horse called ji sung park,but i hope barca win cause manu win too much imo
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

Well, that's gonna be a tough game. Two teams that will show top offensive football. I think the chance for Barca is that Man U will also play offensive and not as destructive and defensive as Chelsea. As an unbiased football fan I didn't like Chelsea's defensive tactics in the semifinale. I think the finale will be better and we'll see some goals.

i think this final will be a high scoring one. at least 4 goals in this game im predicting. but not a 4-0 blow out by 1 one team

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

Wow i am very excited for this game and I agree that it will be a high scoring one.

Even if Manchester United goes with a defensive approach, their front line is talented and intelligent enough to create major havoc.

They will possibly use a 4-5-1 when defending (with ronaldo free to roam around as the one-top wrecking us with his talents and usual pout) and a 4-3-3 when attacking. Yes, Shrek and Korean monkey on the wings have unlimited stamina.

Then again, Barcelona has a depleted defence. 3 players missing on the same area of the pitch for the final is a bit ridiculous. I hope this encourages Manchester united to attack more and open up spaces, which could be helpful when Barcelona counter attacks against a highly skilled defence.

Barcelona is going to use the same game plan as usual. Hold on to the ball as much as possible to limit opponent's chances and attack, attack, attack.

A lot relies on messi bringing his a-game against manchester united. He could be used as a false centre forward with Eto'o on the right flank. That can help in denying Evra the chance to attack and ofcourse putting the best dribbler in front of goal is usually a good idea.

With Henry and Iniesta, recovered from injury and if the lord wills, they are match ready (unlikely though), the midfield and front line can breathe a sigh of relief. Keita could be used as a left-back over sylvinho as rumoured, allowing more creativity in midfield with xavi and iniesta.

With all the injuries and unavailability, I cant even predict how Pep will roll the dice for this one. Lord willing, if he happens to tactically trump the experienced Ferguson and win the champions league final, completing the treble in his first season, he will go down as one of the legends of the game.

Regardless of the injuries, the players will have to want the championship like starving hound-dogs. The team has a chance to go down in history as the fifth team to win the treble and the obstacle in the way happens to be the team that won the last treble a decade ago. A highly nerve-racking week for any bluagrana fan

Nevertheless, I hope it turns out to be a great battle and a classic european final to be remembered. May the best team win.

EDIT: Well thats a first. Pep already declared the starting 11 for the final.

Valdes

Puyol - Toure - Pique - Keita

Xavi - Busquets - Iniesta

Messi - Eto'o - Henry

huh? So he is going with keita on the left. More stamina and speed I guess. He has been playing well recently so I guess its worth the risk.

Busquets in the middle is going to be interesting. Lets see how the rookie handles the biggest game of his life.

While I don't like Barcelona, I do think this is the way it should be. The Champions of the two best leagues in the world going at it. This doesn't happen very often in the champions league final.

i agree, past couple of years it hasnt been the 2 best teams in the world, there have been some great teams but man u vs chelsea? come on chelsea was a great club last year but not a very hyped up final.

barca and united are the 2 most stylish clubs in the world now. this is a great match-up

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07