Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Uefa Champions League final 2008/2009

Croatianblood1 wrote:
Yeah still great for Man Utd but the only thing that really stands out there is the EPL title. I mean, the Community Shield and World Club Championship? Do those titles really even matter?

You know how it goes...when you've jz suffered a loss or dissapointment, you look to the small things in life for consolation..

And on the same token, I keep hearing how Barca won the treble but is the Copa del Rey a prestigious trophy? Does that trophy really even matter?

As the Spanish equivalent of the FA Cup, the Copa del Rey is of course a prestigious trophy!

If the FA Cup matters in England and is considered part of the English Treble, so too does the Copa Del Rey.

All titles matter to an extent, but I get what youre saying about the community shield and the club world cup. The club world cup has only been running for a few years and has no history or real meaning behind it. The community shield is just another title for the top clubs to add to their collection (I think 1994 was when the last club outside the big 4 (everton) won it..)

If you want to argue about the prestige of the Copa Del Rey and if it really mattered as part of the treble, then did the FA Cup win really matter for United when they won the treble 10 years ago?

user1101 wrote:
As the Spanish equivalent of the FA Cup, the Copa del Rey is of course a prestigious trophy!

If the FA Cup matters in England and is considered part of the English Treble, so too does the Copa Del Rey.

All titles matter to an extent, but I get what youre saying about the community shield and the club world cup. The club world cup has only been running for a few years and has no history or real meaning behind it. The community shield is just another title for the top clubs to add to their collection (I think 1994 was when the last club outside the big 4 (everton) won it..)

If you want to argue about the prestige of the Copa Del Rey and if it really mattered as part of the treble, then did the FA Cup win really matter for United when they won the treble 10 years ago?

Ah ok, well I was just asking. I wasn't sure if these cups were legitimate or if they were the type of tournaments that clubs didn't care about so they put their reserve players in. That's what I was really asking.

soccer11 wrote:
Kakasgotskillz wrote:
But then again they lost the UEFA super cup and more than usually the Champs League winner beats the UEFA Cup winner (not counting the case of Barca losing to Sevilla in 2006)

not really actually. I just looked it up just to make sure and it's kind of back and forth. And since the 2000 cup, the UEFA cup winner has won more than the Champions League winner.

Really? I guess my facts aren't right then :?

And to user1101,

Big teams don't always win FA Cups, or Copa del Rey, or any of the respective trophies in the big leagues. Because Europe (Champs League, UEFA Cup) and the domestic title always prevailed over the slightly more minor pieces of silverware, top clubs don't play their best players in these events to rest them throughout a tough season. This is why it is significant to win a treble, or even a double. Being able to focus on three different competitions and excel in all of them would mean a huge success for a club.

Conversely, if a club just does well in European competition and sucks domestically (ex. Milan 06-07, 07-08), it isn't really considered as great as a team who can be consistent throughout. That's why people say these trophies are like consolations; the FA Cup is a consolation for Chelsea for having a below-par season (talking about their slip early-mid season).

to be honest the premier league isn't enough without the Champions League and in my eyes (and i'm pretty sure its the same for many people) the carling cup and the Club world cup is worth a quarter of what the EPL and 10 of what the Champions league is worth AND they got knocked out the FA cup which is worth a good amount *sigh* a season that seemed so promising comes crashing to a end and leaves nothing but dissappointment
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

Jboogey wrote:
to be honest the premier league isn't enough without the Champions League and in my eyes (and i'm pretty sure its the same for many people) the carling cup and the Club world cup is worth a quarter of what the EPL and 10 of what the Champions league is worth AND they got knocked out the FA cup which is worth a good amount *sigh* a season that seemed so promising comes crashing to a end and leaves nothing but dissappointment

they got knocked out of the FA Cup because they played basically their reserves and still got the game to go into PK's. And I agree, I think Barca will repeat next year in the CL and possibly the trebel, if they can keep the majority of their squad together and stay away from major injuries. I think that EPL teams don't play great football. They give away posession way to much and that suits Barca because once you give the ball to Barca you're not getting it back.

But I'd rather be ManU and win the EPL, Carling cup, Community sheild, and WCC rather than be Liverpool and win NOTHING!!! :lol:
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

so MUFC whats the difference between the youngens and those older players,point is,manchester united got knocked out and those youngsters are in the first team,with pro contracts...if they werent good enough they wont be in manchester united currently,the club wudvelet them go,the only thing a younger player lacks is experience i hate when people use the squad played as an excuse,names dont win games,its perfomances,u can play a young squad and they can play the best game played for the team all season

now,if u guys didnt know,the fa cup is a big cup and i think most prestigious cup in england,i even heard the commentators today talking about how big it is,and how when ur a child all u could dream about was playing in a fa cup final...its so big,that i think,spanish people pay more attention to the english cup,than they do to their spanish one

cups that mean nothing are the carling cup and community shield,those are very small,i cant find the word im looking for ill just say charity competitions
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

tevezaholic wrote:
so MUFC whats the difference between the youngens and those older players,point is,manchester united got knocked out and those youngsters are in the first team,with pro contracts...if they werent good enough they wont be in manchester united currently,the club wudvelet them go,the only thing a younger player lacks is experience i hate when people use the squad played as an excuse,names dont win games,its perfomances,u can play a young squad and they can play the best game played for the team all season

now,if u guys didnt know,the fa cup is a big cup and i think most prestigious cup in england,i even heard the commentators today talking about how big it is,and how when ur a child all u could dream about was playing in a fa cup final...its so big,that i think,spanish people pay more attention to the english cup,than they do to their spanish one

cups that mean nothing are the carling cup and community shield,those are very small,i cant find the word im looking for ill just say charity competitions

Yeah they have Mancheda in the reserves?
He basically is a team all on his own :D

The only thing that let United down this season was hype, 3 years ago had they won these 3 thropies they would be worshipped, now that they are considered the best team in the world its nearly a failure that they didn't win enough

Jesus, hand Arsene Wenger the Carling Cup if you don't want it, we'll take anything at the moment, Ronaldo's boots... Berbatovs Hairband... £50... anything...

lol :lol: i didnt mean like they mean nothing,any price for any competition means something,i was in a rush and typed it quick,couldnt find the words i was looking for..ofcourse they mean something,but they are trivial compared to stuff like premier league and fa cup
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

MUFC1994 wrote:
But I'd rather be ManU and win the EPL, Carling cup, Community sheild, and WCC rather than be Liverpool and win NOTHING!!! :lol:

Ya noe, one thing I find that both Liverpool and Franchise Man Utd fans have in common is, they're both obsessed with Liverpool :roll:

Wanderer wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:

Ya noe, one thing I find that both Liverpool and Franchise Man Utd fans have in common is, they're both obsessed with Liverpool :roll:

Wow great observation, Liverpool fans are obcessed with Liverpool.... :roll: And ManU fans are obcessed with 'Pool out of hate. You support Barca right, so you are obcessed with both Barca and Real Madrid, becasue you are rivals.....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

nooo wanderer doesnt support madrid. No barca man supports madrid. Thats anti-man material right there. Fuck madrid.

bahaha eto'o's goal tied barcelona with madrid for most goals scored in UEFA league history and then messi's goal set a new record.............madrid didnt even play and barcelona still humiliate them.....fuck madrid

Xavi and messi connecting was bound to happen though. Messi was the top scorer and xavi was the top assister (even a word? dude that assisted alot) in the competition heading into the final.

http://www.studs-up.com/2009/05/depth-of-reasoning/

lmfao, anybody else ever thought he is the poor man's version of christian bale?

shahensha wrote:
nooo wanderer doesnt support madrid. No barca man supports madrid. Thats anti-man material right there. Fuck madrid.

bahaha eto'o's goal tied barcelona with madrid for most goals scored in UEFA league history and then messi's goal set a new record.............madrid didnt even play and barcelona still humiliate them.....fuck madrid

Xavi and messi connecting was bound to happen though. Messi was the top scorer and xavi was the top assister (even a word? dude that assisted alot) in the competition heading into the final.

http://www.studs-up.com/2009/05/depth-of-reasoning/

lmfao, anybody else ever thought he is the poor man's version of christian bale?

he didn't say support, he said obsessed with, meaning like since you're a Barca fan, the only team you pay attention to more than Barca is Real since they're your biggest rival.

MUFC1994 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:

Wow great observation, Liverpool fans are obcessed with Liverpool.... :roll: And ManU fans are obcessed with 'Pool out of hate. You support Barca right, so you are obcessed with both Barca and Real Madrid, becasue you are rivals.....

kinda small time when hatin your rivals matter more then supportin your club...for example those "are you watchin merseyside" chants in Rome..