Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

08/09 season of A-league

im starting this post for the new season of A-league.
to discuss matches, teams and players etc.
Im a victory fan, but havnt been to any of the games yet, me and some mates are planning to see victory and sydney in melbourne, next month i think it is.

what about all you guys, who do you go for? who do you thinks going to be top this year?

I go for Sydney and i must say with the players they have that there is no excuses for not winning this year. The match against Mariners was a classic, and this new guy Shannon Cole is good to see, the one that scored the free kick. After watching Sydney Fc's dreadful set pieces for a long time, sending every free kick into the box with no accuracy or real target, it was refreshing to see someone actually shoot on target instead of hitting the wall for a change.

So yeah, if Sydney dont win minor or major premiership that would be a dissapointment. The Roar could always go well, they seem to develop players well and find the best youth, they probably deserve a title as well.

Go Adelaide United!! Are we a chance at top spot? Who knows. Guess we'll have to see how things pan out. Some exciting imports though... :D

Finally Sydney has delivered a home performance to be proud of, i was sick of watching draws and losses at home and then the best games away (like the mariners one last week). With the players they have they needed to show that they are one of the best teams, and the best teams must always crush the weaker teams and we did that today, very good.

As well it is good to see Thompson back to good form, not to be unfair because i like him and hes a good player but at the olympics he looked second rate compared to players who were much younger than him, but it shows his experience to bounce back so easily. I doubt Melbourne will have as good a season as their premiership winning one, but they are certainly looking dangerous, something about sport teams from melbourne.

truesocceroo wrote:
Finally Sydney has delivered a home performance to be proud of, i was sick of watching draws and losses at home and then the best games away (like the mariners one last week). With the players they have they needed to show that they are one of the best teams, and the best teams must always crush the weaker teams and we did that today, very good.

As well it is good to see Thompson back to good form, not to be unfair because i like him and hes a good player but at the olympics he looked second rate compared to players who were much younger than him, but it shows his experience to bounce back so easily. I doubt Melbourne will have as good a season as their premiership winning one, but they are certainly looking dangerous, something about sport teams from melbourne.

yea i think the a-league has got off to a great start so far, im happy to see melb going well, especially with their 5-0 win over newcastle. its good to see archie back too. he played very well i think. who else here is follwing the a-league at the moment? has anyone been to any games yet?

Yeah its great to see melbourne at their best, im a sydney fan and all but no team has ever had the quality of melbourne in that 2nd season, just hopefully sydney are starting to measure up now. Ive been to the sydney home games, got season tickets, definitely worthwhile for anyone who has thought about it.

I went in the 2nd season and crowds were poor but its steadily increasing, we got around 11000 and something on sunday which is not bad for a day where they were predicting bad weather. It is surprising how much the attendances have gone up, we are getting more to the A League in Sydney now than the NRL, going to ANZ Stadium to watch some of the matches it is virtually empty, getting numbers like 5000.

Ill stop saying so much now, surely there are some other people that watch A League in this forum, cmon!

Adelaide won 3:0 over Wellington... gr8 game... Cristiano got the monkey off his back too - first A-League goals.

I think the A-League competition has lifted a notch this year. Its gr8 to see... I'm Loving It!!:D

Only one impression I'm getting with all these imports - there seems to be a lot of interest in overseas players, but not as much focus on developing Australian soccer players. Just an impression... does any one else agree? any comments?

Theres an A League youth league but they seem to be using overseas talent that is true. This is because a place like Brazil has so many more players available and often they are better, more technically skillful. The best Australian youth usually gets targeted by premier league clubs anyway so it is hard to get the next Kewells and Cahills for example.

Quote:
what about all you guys, who do you go for? who do you thinks going to be top this year?

I live in Melbourne, so of course I go for the mighty Victory. Sydney are my second team, coz I was born there. I think we have a genuine chance of winning the premiership. We have depth, quality and stability...I could go on all day about the squad.

Quote:
The best Australian youth usually gets targeted by premier league clubs anyway so it is hard to get the next Kewells and Cahills for example.

Yeah I have to agree with that. Alot of the players here get labelled the next Harry Kewell, when realistically when they were 17 they were still at the AIS while Kewell (when he was 17) made his premier league and socceroos debut in the space of a month.

Quote:
who else here is follwing the a-league at the moment? has anyone been to any games yet?

I got a season ticket, and I was at the Newcastle thrashing :D :lol: :twisted:
Sig by me

Being from New Zealand I am following the Wellington Phoenix! I hope they at least get off the bottom of the table this season then I'll be happy :) Otherwise I like Sydney FC because I like Alex Brosque and John Aloisi.

What about adelaide united's ACL campaign...very exciting :D They play the second leg against Bunyodkur on Wednesday 22nd.

A-league season not going gr8 at the moment though...

If were gonna talk about the ACL Final, then someone should make a thread in the Asia forum.

I cant wait though. If United win, then this would without a doubt, be the biggest thing in Australian football since the world cup. Its sad that Adelaide havent been able to follow thier sellout ACL games with good league attendances though.

Whats even more sad is I wasted $20 to go and see Sydney beat my beloved Melbourne Victory 2-0...who played like absolute crap.
Sig by me

Sydney are disgraceful. They were playing brilliantly, 3 well worked goals that came from great attack, unstoppable by any defence, then they let in 3 goals, 2 of them extremely soft, at home.

A professional team should not waste a 3-0 lead ever, and dont start mentioning istanbul because this is just dreadful, the mariners werent even good, Sydney's defence should be fired. I hope Kossie knows better than to use inexperienced defenders, they really need the experience at the back.

Gamba Osaka 3-0 Adelaide Utd
lol are Adelaide really that bad? :P

No, Adelaide United are actually a very good side, lots of pace and creativity.
They're exceptional at sitting back in thier own half, sucking teams in, and then they break with the pace of Dodd and Jamieson. I havent seen any replays of the match, but from what I heard, Gamba were just too good, and moved the ball very well.

Quote:
A professional team should not waste a 3-0 lead ever, and dont start mentioning istanbul because this is just dreadful, the mariners werent even good, Sydney's defence should be fired. I hope Kossie knows better than to use inexperienced defenders, they really need the experience at the back

Wtf happened with Musialik? You dont hit the crossbar from six yards out... Yeah anyway I kinda agree with u... Sydney in recent weeks havent been putting away those games that they need to win if they want to launch themselves a title bid, it was abit like Liverpool last season when they dropped points against teams like Birmingham... but as a Melbourne fan, Im gonna hope they keep their defenders... :roll:
Sig by me