Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Champions League 08-09 discussion thread

soccer11 wrote:
I think Barca against Manchester United would be the best final. Nothing against Arsenal, United's just a better team this season. And obviously I don't want to play chelsea again in the finals, that would just be boring. Barcelona would actually pose a challenge for us.

After watching the game, Porto is kind of a dirty team. They constantly were complaining and bitching to the ref, it was getting somewhat boring to watch that over and over again. United's defense held tough with Rio back there so I'm happy with that. Hopefully that's a sign for things to come for the rest of the season.

Well I think Arsenal are hitting form at the right time, wheres United are losing it at the wrong time, but it will be a great game

But I wish for Barca Arsenal, part of me feels it will be United and Barca are destined to face off :(

Quote:
O and btw NBP Arsenal is going down....

:D like the way we 'went down' in november??? :wink:

I'll give you that. Ever since Arsenal has gotten back Fabregas, you've been doing much better but I'm hopeful that now that some of our injury problems are starting to go away, we'll be back in form. The defense was great today and I expect that to continue as long as we have Rio and Vidic in the middle. Eventually we'll start scoring goals again and I think we have a good stretch left in us.

soccer11 wrote:
I'll give you that. Ever since Arsenal has gotten back Fabregas, you've been doing much better but I'm hopeful that now that some of our injury problems are starting to go away, we'll be back in form. The defense was great today and I expect that to continue as long as we have Rio and Vidic in the middle. Eventually we'll start scoring goals again and I think we have a good stretch left in us.

Whoa man, the defense was lucky... not great
Think of the countless of chances Porto had in the last 10 minutes
Had that been a decent quality of strikers you would be discussing Proto vs ARsenal right now
But I will say it looked alot more solid than recent weeks and I won't be overly critical, because they held out well overall, they played good, but far from great

Van Der Sar was having too many 'wobbly' moments for comfort

ya van der sar was a little shaky at times, and our outside backs kept turning the ball over with poor clearances especially evra, United isn't playing great, but we are managing results which is all that matters.

O and NBP that Fabregas flick to Walcott was so sick....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

well last ten minutes not withstanding haha
I meant great because the tackling was really tough. Porto didn't have any real chances until the end of the game because United had shut it down. Vidic and Ferdinand really went into the tackles because for a lot of the game Porto tried going down the middle of the field, which doesn't work against United when you have those 2 in the middle. Once they pushed it outside, they had a little bit more chances, which is when I noticed that Evra and to a lesser level O'shea showed a little vulnerability but as long as they were going down the middle, they got nothing.

MUFC1994 wrote:
ya van der sar was a little shaky at times, and our outside backs kept turning the ball over with poor clearances especially evra, United isn't playing great, but we are managing results which is all that matters.

O and NBP that Fabregas flick to Walcott was so sick....

Tell me about it, the finish was insane aswell

Quote:
well last ten minutes not withstanding haha
I meant great because the tackling was really tough. Porto didn't have any real chances until the end of the game because United had shut it down. Vidic and Ferdinand really went into the tackles because for a lot of the game Porto tried going down the middle of the field, which doesn't work against United when you have those 2 in the middle. Once they pushed it outside, they had a little bit more chances, which is when I noticed that Evra and to a lesser level O'shea showed a little vulnerability but as long as they were going down the middle, they got nothing.

Yup the flanks were exposed very well, and with Van Der Sar flopping under crosses I would look alot more nervously if you were playing a crossing team (like Liverpool or Chealsa) in the semis instead of one that likes to play football (like Arsenal or Barca)
But Vidic and Ferdinand did little wrong and that was a bonus

But Uniteds biggest weakness has to be there midfeild... they really haven't much going for them there

Oh god I hope Barca and United lose. It would make me oh so happy :P

3 English teams in the semi-finals.

Platini will be piss livid 8)

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Man, finally Liverpool know what its like to be the only top 4 team not in the Semis

Praying for a repeat of the 2006 final, Henry to score an OG and Arsenal to win 1-0 :D

ratherton wrote:

Yup, just goes to show how much continental teams suck.
www.mission-control.tumblr.com

why is everyone so scared of barca dude? theres no way chelsea wont beat them (imo) english teams are just too good in europe right now, there quick game just beat everybody at the moment, barca is the best rival to play an english team yet still, i think they will fall short, ACTUALLY THOUGH, i wish it was diferent i wish chelsea would get schooleed!

and united arsenal will be a tuff game, but man u will win de series by 1 goal i think.

so many good goals in quarter finals, which ones do you think were the best i think : 1) Adebayor vs Villareal at el madrigal 2) Ronaldo vs Oporto at estadio do dragao, 3) Alex vs Liverpool in Stamford Bridge

Hugh wrote:
ratherton wrote:

Yup, just goes to show how much continental teams suck.

Just goes to show how good the premier league is you mean.
i was made to ignite

Wow...Barca is the only non-english club left in the semi-finals again? Yo is it too much to ask for some help to make these EUROPEAN finals? :roll:

I had never really felt that the english leagues dominated the champions league until this season. The current Liga champs, Madrid along with the top three Serie A clubs were all knocked out by the mighty four of the epl in the FIRST knockout round.

Once again its up to Barcelona to stop this. What an interesting twist to add to a story book treble season so far....amazing!

But yeah there is nothing to be scared about Barcelona though. Hell Pep is still using the same framework Rijkaard left....except its more ruthless in the attack and greedier in possession. Almost all players have exceptional control of the ball........except Eto'o, once he can get the same control as Messi, iniesta or xavi, then you should be scared.

But apart from that nothing to worry. Barcelona is known for its attack not defence. hahaha maybe thats why the team doesnt defend by adding midfielders/defenders and parking the bus.......instead the players play keep-away and slow down their tempo.......who defends their lead like that? Better ask Bayern that question....Just cut down their possession controling midfield of Xavi Iniesta Toure and Alves collectively and we wont know what to do.....its simple, Lyon did it in the first leg

Chelsea is going to take the smart approach and hide in a turtle shell when it goes to the Lion's den aka Camp Nou. Because attacking Barcelona in its own territory will leave you mauled to pieces. Trust me, we have scored a lot of goals when teams try to play football against us.

Our motto is simple: We wont let you play, but if you try you will definitely pay.

Barcelona is the kid in the playground who wants the ball all to himself and wont share it with others.

We will control possession, attack from everywhere and try to score as many goals as possible and as quick as possible. Then to defend the lead, we will just pretend its practice and play keep-away. Its simple like that.

Also considering there is no recognized left back to deal with Messi and Alves. Hiddink better come up with a good plan.

shahensha wrote:
Wow...Barca is the only non-english club left in the semi-finals again? Yo is it too much to ask for some help to make these EUROPEAN finals? :roll:

Try sucking less... It's entirely your fault if the only way they previously made the finals is by not coming up against english teams early on.
www.mission-control.tumblr.com

shahensha wrote:

I had never really felt that the english leagues dominated the champions league until this season. The current Liga champs, Madrid along with the top three Serie A clubs were all knocked out by the mighty four of the epl in the FIRST knockout round.

2006 Semis

Arsenal - Villareal
Barca - AC Milan

2007 Semis

Liverpool - Chealsa
United - AC Milan

2008 Semis

Liverpool - Chealsa
Barca - United

2009 Semis

Arsenal - United
Barca - Chealsa

The dominance has been persistent over the last 3 years, but this year its become silly, and the way liverpool chealsa keep meeting each other is ridiculous