Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Chelsea vs Barcelona

who will go through
Poll ended at 27 Apr 2009, 18:54
CHELSEA FC!!!  43%  (9 votes)
Barcelona  57%  (12 votes)

lol yeah, me thinks the defence is being unfairly compared to the offence.

Quote:
everyone i have heard talk about Barcelona have said that the key to beating them is constant pressure and controlling Messi,

Word. That is actually what everyone says. All this talk of messi-dependency is really non-sense. Whereas we who watch Barcelona play know that if the team is actually dependent on a player, its none other than Xavi.

Let me put it this way for those who dont know the true value of the meek little player.

An american football team can play without its star wide receiver, but can it afford to play without its star quarterback? Thought so...

Xavi is the type of fellow who runs around the midfield distributing passes left and right and is called "the pivot" or "the number 4" in Barcelona (yes fabregas is one too). Its the role that was created by Cruyff during his tenure as coach.

See, Pep (The original number 4 and current coach) was the captain of the dream team era under Cruyff, who revolutionised the way Barcelona play by introducing the triangle system (players line up in a triangle when passing the ball around).

Why am I sharing that part? Good question. See the system depends on constant motion as the third man gets to chose from two targets when passing the ball...................Xavi is the third man, involved in almost every triangle on the field.

Trust me, if Chelsea is not heavily marking xavi then you will notice a definite trend of player---player---xavi---player---player---xavi---player---player---xavi...........then a throughball or a lobbed outlet.

Almost every third pass ends up at Xavi's feet!

Sure I realized that pattern when I was watching the game in "high" definition....but seriously its true though. Watch out for that pattern next tuesday

He is the perfect epitome of the midfield maestro.

Oh and he has the most assists in the champions league too. One more than Lamblard and Fevergas

Quote:
those two are arguably one of the best duos in football(offensively)

Definitely agree with you there. The ball movement has so much more fluidity when they are both in the midfield. Also if one is blocked off, the other is free to do damage.

However I dont like it when Iniesta is on the left wing. Dont get me wrong, he is amazing there but he doesnt see much of the ball (especially if the third midfielder on the left is a work-horse type like gudjohnsen or keita who isnt really great at service)

So If I were Guus Hiddink, Id tell essien to smell xavi's sweat throughout the 90 minutes and hope Iniesta is not in the midfield and playing on the left wing instead

shahensha wrote:
lol yeah, me thinks the defence is being unfairly compared to the offence.

Quote:
everyone i have heard talk about Barcelona have said that the key to beating them is constant pressure and controlling Messi,

Word. That is actually what everyone says. All this talk of messi-dependency is really non-sense. Whereas we who watch Barcelona play know that if the team is actually dependent on a player, its none other than Xavi.

Let me put it this way for those who dont know the true value of the meek little player.

An american football team can play without its star wide receiver, but can it afford to play without its star quarterback? Thought so...

Xavi is the type of fellow who runs around the midfield distributing passes left and right and is called "the pivot" or "the number 4" in Barcelona (yes fabregas is one too). Its the role that was created by Cruyff during his tenure as coach.

See, Pep (The original number 4 and current coach) was the captain of the dream team era under Cruyff, who revolutionised the way Barcelona play by introducing the triangle system (players line up in a triangle when passing the ball around).

Why am I sharing that part? Good question. See the system depends on constant motion as the third man gets to chose from two targets when passing the ball...................Xavi is the third man, involved in almost every triangle on the field.

Trust me, if Chelsea is not heavily marking xavi then you will notice a definite trend of player---player---xavi---player---player---xavi---player---player---xavi...........then a throughball or a lobbed outlet.

Almost every third pass ends up at Xavi's feet!

Sure I realized that pattern when I was watching the game in "high" definition....but seriously its true though. Watch out for that pattern next tuesday

He is the perfect epitome of the midfield maestro.

Oh and he has the most assists in the champions league too. One more than Lamblard and Fevergas

Quote:
those two are arguably one of the best duos in football(offensively)

Definitely agree with you there. The ball movement has so much more fluidity when they are both in the midfield. Also if one is blocked off, the other is free to do damage.

However I dont like it when Iniesta is on the left wing. Dont get me wrong, he is amazing there but he doesnt see much of the ball (especially if the third midfielder on the left is a work-horse type like gudjohnsen or keita who isnt really great at service)

So If I were Guus Hiddink, Id tell essien to smell xavi's sweat throughout the 90 minutes and hope Iniesta is not in the midfield and playing on the left wing instead

erm I watched 1 or 2 Barcelona games on the comp and tbh I cudnt see Xavi always being the third passer...I did notice him running up and down the midfield center and jz passing to his teammates tho..but the every "third pass thing" is kinda exaggerated...

Just because torres or cronaldo dont score in a game or two doesnt mean they are not good finishers.

Xavi may not be the third passer all the time, but he will be involved in the most triangles out of all the teammates......unless someone has him covered like ants on food ofcourse

If you give him the space to run where ever he wants, he will always be near the ball, ready for a pass.

Just a funny little stat

Henry, Messi and Eto'o have scored more goals between them then all the Chealsa players put together

NewBornProdigy wrote:
Just a funny little stat

Henry, Messi and Eto'o have scored more goals between them then all the Chealsa players put together

Funnier little stat,

They play in La Liga
Chelsea>Your team

fr33k1ck wrote:
NewBornProdigy wrote:
Just a funny little stat

Funnier little stat,

They play in La Liga

rofl
www.mission-control.tumblr.com

i got on =)..anyway,polls are up
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

fr33k1ck wrote:
NewBornProdigy wrote:
Just a funny little stat

Funnier little stat,

They play in La Liga

OOOOOOOOOO burn. :D

But we have seen what Henry can do in the EPL. He dominated the scoresheet for a few years when he played for Arsenal. Can't say the same for Eto'o or Messi though.

ive been hearing alot of hype around messi..i think that in the first half,we will get dominated because we will focus too much on messi and barcas real play makers,who seems to be xavi,iniesta and in a way yaya,will go unmarked and i heard someone say ashleys had a poor season,that person obviously have never seen cole play,imo hes been a beast all season,his overlaps are so good and he has made alot of chances through his crosses and hes been good on defence too...i hope chelsea attack,forget the counter attack shit,i think we are good enough to not wait on barca and attack,time to risk imo
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

who ever said barca is just messi , and all you have to do is control messi is seriously mistaken.. even if you close him down, you still have iniesta, dani alves, xavi, etoo, hleb, henry .. all these players with one play can break most defences easily..

I personally think this is gonna be the best game of the year, and my vote goes for el Barca

Quote:
Just a funny little stat

Dont forget Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool

but its useless pulling out these statistics in front of narrow minded and ignorant english fans. It is the same dumb excuse all the time.

Anyone who has ACTUALLY seen more than a handful of Barcelona games under Guardiola will know that this is the second coming of the Dream Team that was coached by Johan Cruiff.

The same team that was the text book definition of the beautiful game for the football purists.

The same dream team that revolutionized Barcelona's identity as a constant attacking and possession obsessed team.

The same team that won its first ever European glory...

lmao i like how the only two coaches that got us the european trophy were both Dutch.......ofcourse Rijkaard played under Cruiff and knew his footballing philosophies.

Similarly Pep Guardiola who made his debut and captained Barcelona in the cruiff era playing a critical role in the Dream Team, has learned alot from the dutch mastermind and it has been clearly evident this season.

This is why I am confident for tomorrows fixture. However that doesnt mean I am a narrow minded fool. I do consider my opponent's strength's and especially my weaknesses. Two people that worry me are

Hiddink: That fool is a tactical genius........worse he is dutch, so he definitely knows a thing or two about Cruiff's teachings.

Essien: Versatile player. If it werent for his injury this season, Chelsea would have been doing alot better. What makes his dangerous is that he can defend and attack, with his speed and versatility allowing him to make a quick transition

Because the transition game, thats one of Barcelona's weaknesses, you cant expect us to run back and forth and make quick transitions between offence and defence..........Why do you think we take our sweet time hogging possession and come with a nicely planned attack instead of just saying "we have the ball, CHARGE!"?

Sure you english teams come with energizer batteries and a hasty approach towards goal. Keep that up constantly and we will begin to have problems.

Secondly, Barcelona is the type of team that how you say "walks the ball into the net"...........while a player runs down the wing, the attacker in the box moves out of the box dragging defenders with him...the player will then use that space to pass it to an open third man running into the box.........GOAL......its a classic trick. If Hiddink instructs his defender to stick to their places inside the box regardless of the Barcelona movement (there will be lots)......then we are screwed.

Thirdly............set pieces, nuff said

Apart from those three I have no worries.

Tomorrow's game is the most crucial one in our European dreams and funny enough, the most crucial game in our league dreams (el Clasico, vs Madrid) is sandwiched right in between the champs league games.

Oh well, tomorrow we will see if we are truly over-hyped and shit and the English will dominate as always.

The performances shall tell the difference not statistics

if barcelona pull their defense together for the game,they will probably be the better team,barca has a great mind of the game,their patient and most if not all the players have killer vision,the only thing i saw that i dnt like about barca are their risky passes,they make alot of tight passes,and sometimes its an impossible space to fit it through,theyve never heard their coach say..dnt fit,dont force it :P
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

btw.... i was listening to hiddink talk about barcelonas offence and vision, and i was wondering, how the hell does he speeak so good spanish!

shahensha wrote:
Quote:
Just a funny little stat

Hiddink: That fool is a tactical genius........worse he is dutch, so he definitely knows a thing or two about Cruiff's teachings.

Essien: Versatile player. If it werent for his injury this season, Chelsea would have been doing alot better. What makes his dangerous is that he can defend and attack, with his speed and versatility allowing him to make a quick transition

Because the transition game, thats one of Barcelona's weaknesses, you cant expect us to run back and forth and make quick transitions between offence and defence..........Why do you think we take our sweet time hogging possession and come with a nicely planned attack instead of just saying "we have the ball, CHARGE!"?

Sure you english teams come with energizer batteries and a hasty approach towards goal. Keep that up constantly and we will begin to have problems.

Secondly, Barcelona is the type of team that how you say "walks the ball into the net"...........while a player runs down the wing, the attacker in the box moves out of the box dragging defenders with him...the player will then use that space to pass it to an open third man running into the box.........GOAL......its a classic trick. If Hiddink instructs his defender to stick to their places inside the box regardless of the Barcelona movement (there will be lots)......then we are screwed.

Thirdly............set pieces, nuff said

Apart from those three I have no worries.

Personally I think that even tho English teams are more physical, Barcelona is more intelligent. And speed of thought is always quicker then physical speed(Zidane).

Barcelona hav two of the most intelligent and fast thinking midfielders in Xavi and Iniesta,who most crucially, also have great first touches, complimented with precise passing, so I think they would be able to cope with the physicalness.

The reason why Essien was able to man mark Gerrard out off the game was because Gerrard's got a crap first touch and a slow footy brain(relatively)..

On the Hiddink zonal marking thing..thats what players like Messi are for..if they do the zonal thing and restreict movement, sure the passes would be harder to penetrate, but then Messi would jz glide through the defense tho.

If they man mark him, then it would be the passes that penetrate thorugh the space the defense leave open..so its kinda no win situation..

People also talk bout cutting off supply from the midfield to Messi. but even if they do that, theres still Dani Alves they hav to think about..

Barcelona usually pass the ball into the net, but now they have the option of dribbling the ball into the net..so the two dimensions make it harder for teams to defend..

If Essien marks Xavi, Messi would kill Chelsea...If Essien marks Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Eto'o would kill Chelsea..So it jz depends which way Chelsea wants to go out...

Set pieces are the only weaknesses tho..

Barcelona 4-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2 Barca 1
www.mission-control.tumblr.com