Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Chelsea vs Barcelona

who will go through
Poll ended at 27 Apr 2009, 18:54
CHELSEA FC!!!  43%  (9 votes)
Barcelona  57%  (12 votes)

I thought this game had potential but when I saw the lineups earlier in the day I knew how this was going to go, and this is about how I figured. Chelsea would defend pretty much the entire time and make the occasional counter attack. The way they're playing, Chelsea just wants to et out of there with a draw. That's a win for them by the way they're playing so far.

I fell asleep towards the end of the match. Barcelona had about 70% of the possession and they couldn't get anything past Chelsea since they "parked the bus in front of the net." I can still see Barca beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge though. Barca's offense is more high powered than Chelsea's and they will be able to get through the defense.

chelsea chose the sit back and wait approach,good defending,barca found themselve shooting from 25 30 yards but it was a crap overall perfomance by chelsea,boring game,best chance fell to drogba,he wasted
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

As I've said before, I think Drogba has lost it. He's still good but not nearly like he was 2 or 3 years ago. He seems slower and his finishing has definitely declined.

soccer11 wrote:
As I've said before, I think Drogba has lost it. He's still good but not nearly like he was 2 or 3 years ago. He seems slower and his finishing has definitely declined.

Yeah, true. Drogba is squandering opportunities and 2 years ago he would have easily slotted a goal past Valdes after Marquez messed up.

yeah, drogba 2 years ago was one of my favorite players, but now he seems kind of gumpish, hes not the same.

i only watched the first 30 mins due to training, i called my brother to hear the score n i was shocked i thought barca was going to get a couple of good ones but i guess it was just a boring game

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

To be fair hasn't Drogba scored something like 8 goals in the last 10 games? I think he still has it, everyone misses and hits dry spells, plus he is getting older.

2brown347 wrote:
To be fair hasn't Drogba scored something like 8 goals in the last 10 games? I think he still has it, everyone misses and hits dry spells, plus he is getting older.

yea that's true but in a champions league game a few weeks ago (I think it was the first game against Liverstool) he missed these chances that I have no doubt he would've buried 2 or 3 years ago. I think what it is now is that he's getting more chances, so he's scoring goals but he's also missing more chances. And you mention he's getting older that that's exactly what I was getting at. He's getting older so he's not quite the player he was a couple years ago.

Barca showed they were the better team but Chelsea will be happy with a draw.

Chelsea's midfield 3 of Mikel Essien and Ballack were incredibly disiplined and limited the influence of xavi and Iniesta

I think tactics wise Hiddink was spot on and I think clesea might have too much for barca to handle at home

Chelsea will undoubtably have more attacks and players going forward, this will push iniesta and xavi back into their own half which will numb barcelona's build up play

however if Barca score first it will be interesting to see if they could do to chelsea what chelsea did to them last night

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Quote:
however if Barca score first it will be interesting to see if they could do to chelsea what chelsea did to them last night

NEVER! The day Barcelona pulls off gay anti-football shit like that, I lose all faith in the beautiful game. Gladly they never will cause its always attack. Why do you think an inexperienced Pep was chosen over an experienced Mourinho?

Besides Barcelona has its own way of defending...........keep possession.

But seriously, why does every english team act like tough champions and then defend like a bunch of crusty pussies with 9 players, (hell at times all 10) in their own half? They always come with this "disciplined" tactic.....same with liverpool & manchester united.........except liverpool is really good at this crustiness cause they came away with a victory

Then again Hiddink figured our scoring secret out.........we can only score against teams that play FOOTBALL not ones that have a picnic in their own box.

When teams move forward, they leave space. Barcelona thrives on that space for movement and passing. This season alot of our goals have come from other teams trying to score one on us. Its usually the crucial first goal that is scored that way...

Oh well, considering the semi last season, I had a feeling the same would happen after the first half yesterday.

No worries, I am confident there will be goals scored in the second leg at Stamford Bridge (fuck 0-0 draws, you know how excited I was excepting this game to be an attacking goal fest).

Chelsea has to play football and attack........no one can pull off that anti-football bus parking in their own home field without the fans screaming "murder"............well thats how it is in la liga, things may be different in the land of ugly football.

Once again the tie will be decided in England. The over-hyped champion wannabes are going to face one of the best four teams in the WORLD at Stamford Bridge. Lets all hope for an attacking treat from both teams.

Chelsea did the zonal thingy and blocked the first dimension of passing into the goal..Barcelona should hav tried the second dimension and let Messi dribble past the defence...it seemed like he always passed the ball instead of dribbling...compared with the Man Utd game, where he dribbled more instead of passing...

And on a second note...how ugly were chelsea's tactics? Sure, theres nothing wrong with parking the bus, its efficient and the scummy Italians did it...But surely disrupting the play with continous fouls is considered as cheating...

Anyway, if Bojan or Hleb had more composure Barcelona would have won...

Oh yeah and Drogba's still a twat...

haha I don't know why you're angry at Chelsea. They got the job done, right? This is the CL semi's. At this point, you got to do what you got to do to get the job done. I don't like Chelsea but I won't begrudge them of defending to the death because it worked. You guys didn't score at home, just as they wanted. And if Drogba could still finish, we'd be talking about Chelsea with a one goal aggregate lead. Barcelona are vulnerable on the counter and Chelsea knows this now so if they calculate when do send an attack up, they very easily could steal this.

Quote:
Chelsea did the zonal thingy and blocked the first dimension of passing into the goal..Barcelona should hav tried the second dimension and let Messi dribble past the defence...it seemed like he always passed the ball instead of dribbling...compared with the Man Utd game, where he dribbled more instead of passing...

nah messi was having a shit game. Its better he passed the ball instead cause he over-dribbles at times...........9th minute he should have shot the ball instead of trying to go between alex and lampard

Iniesta on the other hand was the only star forward that caused Chelsea some troubles. He was making some great passes and taking on the defence messi like.

Henry was another fellow having a good performance but after Alex's shoulder knocked him out for a while, he wasnt the same.

Quote:
And on a second note...how ugly were chelsea's tactics? Sure, theres nothing wrong with parking the bus, its efficient and the scummy Italians did it...But surely disrupting the play with continous fouls is considered as cheating...

Football is called the beautiful game. People watch it for goals and attacking football. No goals = ugly game. Playing with the intention to defend and not score goals = ugly football

Thats how I see it. The rough tackles and physical play I blame on the english league's preference of brute caveman football over skillful technical football.

There were blatant fouls, there were really rough tackles. Marquez' injury I blame on alex's foul in the first 10 minutes that sent him rolling on the ground. No trained athelete just falls over by himself with a fucked up knee.

Also I blame Bosingwa's blatant pull down of Henry inside the penalty box on the human nature of blinking at opportune moments......after all the ref is a human eh?

I call it ugly cause they just defended and didnt play football. The only time they had a chance with decent link up play between the players was in the first five minutes when malouda and drogba did well to set up Lampard's shot.

The rest of the time Chelsea just hoofed long hope full balls forward like playground kids...

Quote:
haha I don't know why you're angry at Chelsea. They got the job done, right? This is the CL semi's. At this point, you got to do what you got to do to get the job done. I don't like Chelsea but I won't begrudge them of defending to the death because it worked. You guys didn't score at home, just as they wanted. And if Drogba could still finish, we'd be talking about Chelsea with a one goal aggregate lead. Barcelona are vulnerable on the counter and Chelsea knows this now so if they calculate when do send an attack up, they very easily could steal this.

Nah homie, I am not angry that Chelsea didnt have the balls to attack and played for a cheap draw......Manchester United already did that so its not really very shocking.

Anyways, imagine impatiently waiting for a game that is dubbed to be an exciting fixture/greatest game of the season/ GOAL FEST.........then smoking a fat joint and getting high as nuts on a coconut tree thinking "oh man oh man oh man this going to be SICK!"..........and see a 0-0 scoreline with only one team willing to take the initiative of scoring goals for the viewers....yeah exactly

When defences rule, football is the loser

Chelsea could use the same tactics as Manchester did last year and get the best of us but whats better? A stylish win or a garbage victory?

No need for an answer. Its rhetorical really. The answer depends on a person's standard of football

you have to realize that at this point it's win at all cost. And you do seem a little bitter about the way Chelsea played but it works. It's not the prettiest thing to watch, I'll admit but I won't get upset about something like that because it's their best chance at winning. You know as well as I do that Chelsea doesn't have the attacking prowess of Barca so if they wanted to run, they'd lose every time. It'd be absolutely stupid of Chelsea to even try to play like that.
You're a Barca fan so of course you'd like them to play like that because you know you'd win but what's good for you definitely isn't good for them. I didn't figure this to be a good tie in the sense of stylish play because I've seen Chelsea play a pretty decent amount this season and they don't play like that. This really is North and South Pole in terms of playing styles which is why I like it because the goal will be completely unexpected.

i think chelsea were the better side in terms of succeeding in gameplan,look,barca went to attack,but didnt score(fail),chelsea went and defend and didnt concede(success) and if u think that chelsea cant win against barca u have obviously never seen chelsea play and drogba still has it,a bit slower but hes good enough
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!