Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

U-turn by UEFA

They have just rescinded Eduardo's ban for falling over like a sack of shite.

No surprise: Arsenal are French, the President of UEFA is French

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

UEFA is a joke. Even as a big Eduardo fan, I could see that was a clear dive although I didn't like that Eduardo was singled out amongst the most prolific divers in the game.

So much for setting a precedent. If this is the kind of precedent that they'll be setting (Banning, then removing said ban), we're in for a long and storied year at the UEFA competitions again...

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

No wonder people have been saying football is a joke.

fir_nev wrote:
No wonder people have been saying football is a joke.

A bad joke at that. Just you wait, they'll slap a huge ban on someone for something ridiculous before the season is out. Chalk of one, and cheese of the other.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Ultimately i think the ban was stupid. Yeh okay it was a dive and some would argue he should've been banned, but it should've only stayed as a two game ban if UEFA and other Associations had decided to ban divers after Eduardo's incident, which they didn't. Look at Rooney vs Slovenia or Ashley Young's dive in UEFA Cup which occured around the same time as Eduardo's.. did they get a ban from the FA or from UEFA? No. So why only punish one player when others can get away with it?

And to ratherton. Yeh Arsenal has a French coach and alot of French players, and the President of UEFA is French too, but...

1) Platini hates Wenger as a coach and hates the fact he buys alot of youngsters. He has also had alot of arguments with Wenger through the media too.

2) Eduardo said himself that he was looking to sue UEFA for potentially ruining his name.

So why would Platini want to help a club who is run by a coach that he hates, a club that goes against UEFA's morals, and a club in which a player from there wants to sue his employer?

So yeh, your theory comes down to coincidence

Eduardo's name wasn't ruined by UEFA. He did a perfectly good job of that himself.

I hope this puts an end to the, "Everyone hates Arsenal" talk I hear every now and then.

soccer11 wrote:
Eduardo's name wasn't ruined by UEFA. He did a perfectly good job of that himself.

I hope this puts an end to the, "Everyone hates Arsenal" talk I hear every now and then.

I don't know about that first part. I mean plenty of players dive but that isn't the first thing that comes to mind when mentioning those players.

For example, Wayne Rooney. He dives but that isn't the first thing that pops in your head when talking about him. You think about his strength and high work rate.

UEFA blew the Eduardo incident out of proportion I think. Now everyone just thinks of him as a cheating diver instead of a good finisher.

As for the "everyone hates Arsenal" thing, well they bring it upon themselves alot. I mean Wenger seems to complain about decision that's not in favor of Arsenal even if the decision is rational.

Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:

I don't know about that first part. I mean plenty of players dive but that isn't the first thing that comes to mind when mentioning those players.

For example, Wayne Rooney. He dives but that isn't the first thing that pops in your head when talking about him. You think about his strength and high work rate.

UEFA blew the Eduardo incident out of proportion I think. Now everyone just thinks of him as a cheating diver instead of a good finisher.

As for the "everyone hates Arsenal" thing, well they bring it upon themselves alot. I mean Wenger seems to complain about decision that's not in favor of Arsenal even if the decision is rational.

I don't think UEFA blew it out of proportion, I think the media did and that is what caused Uefa to act
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

MUFC1994 wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:

I don't think UEFA blew it out of proportion, I think the media did and that is what caused Uefa to act

Good call, it was the media that blew it out of proportion. UEFA was doing the right thing by accusing Eduardo because it was a clear dive.

Met

Well did anyone see the Real Madrid game? It was exactly the same except that there was even less contact than Eduardo's. I implore you to check it out. I wonder if Uefa will bother posing a ban on it and then changing its mind afterwards.

To be honest, all we footballers we ask is consistency. We want to know that every dive will get banned afterwards or every dive will get away with it. Although it isn't ideal but we want everyone treated the same. It's infuriating when same situations are treated differently. I guess that's human error for you.

/start vent

As a closing statement, I wish to point out that I don't think Eduardo hit the ground that fast when Matty Taylor tackled him. :@

/end vent

This is a classic example of what happens when people (in this case UEFA) think before switching on their brains.

I fully support the ban for diving of ANY player but there are a number of issues with this:

1. I'm not 100% UEFA actually had their power within their current rules to implement the ban. Any ruling board has to have a set of rules to follow. They can't just make things up as they go along.

2. While I believe a ban is morally right, the same offence during a game is only worth a yellow card so that is inconsistent.

3. Upholding such a ban would set a precident. This would mean UEFA would be expected to ban players for all similar incidents and there are certain teams who wouldn't haven't any players available after a couple of games.

Wonder where we go from here?

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Fine the ref for making a bad call. That will make the refs more willing to punish the diver with the yellow. They won't ever go card-crazy because they get fined for making a bad judgment. Eventually this will discourage players from diving, or even embellishing any foul. That's an idea.
ZIDANE THE LEGEND
Check out my Anaerobic Fitness Guide

Nat_H wrote:
Fine the ref for making a bad call. That will make the refs more willing to punish the diver with the yellow. They won't ever go card-crazy because they get fined for making a bad judgment. Eventually this will discourage players from diving, or even embellishing any foul. That's an idea.

That's not really fair for the ref.....it's not against the rules for a ref tto miss a call, it is against the rules for a player to dive. The player should be held responsible, not the ref.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

The media and celtic players blew it out of proportion. Yes he dived but the pk didn't change the game. Celtic were horrible during both legs. The media caught on because the players brought it out in the media.

I think a diving ban needs to be in place but Uefa can't be taken seriously to impliment such a thing. They'll just u-turn again.