Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Porto v Arsenal

Which Porto goal was funnier
Fabianski's own goal  44%  (4 votes)
The quickly taken free kick inside the box  56%  (5 votes)

Which Porto goal made you laugh more?

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Gotta be the own goal, that was stunning.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Icy

I'm glad I wasn't able to watch this game... I would have been raging.. haha

I'd have to say the free kick was the worse one though... Honestly, how the hell does a top level player just pick up the ball during that.... Clear the fucking ball.... Not only that but, Arsenal completely shutting down giving such a simple goal after the stupidity
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

Icy wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't able to watch this game... I would have been raging.. haha

I'd have to say the free kick was the worse one though... Honestly, how the hell does a top level player just pick up the ball during that.... Clear the fucking ball.... Not only that but, Arsenal completely shutting down giving such a simple goal after the stupidity

There is where you are wrong. Fabianski isn't even close to a top level player. His decision making is beyond poor. He should have held onto the ball or threw it out to a teammate. If the ref called it back for a free kick so be it, not a big deal. If he got a yellow for holding/picking up the ball its not a big deal either because he is a keeper. Its not like he is going to be diving into tackles and risk getting a second one.

Icy

Haha, fair enough Arsenal instead of top level player I should have put professional player. I meant more top level player as merely a player in the premiere league. I by no means consider him one of (or close to) the best keepers.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

This is why, in my opinion, arsenal will not be a serious contender for any trophy until some actual changes are actually made. Even a 7 year old knows better than to pick up a pass back to the keeper.

I disagree. Campbell barely even touched the ball. It was the slightest of touches you couuld have on the ball. It would not have changed anything. But i do have to say fabianski is one of the worst keepers i have ever seen..coming from an arsenal fan. Never liked him, never will.

the first goal?? pituful. Embarressing. Hope he had nightmares about it. I know eveyone makes mistakes..but two? both end in goals? in the CL?

PLus lets not forget about the amount of injuries arsenal has. I can't stand it. Some are understandable, but i see gallas play fine in one game (along with several others) and it turns out within a week 5 more players are injured.

what do they do during practice?!

I was so angry, I broke my T.V.

Then I, fixed it for the second half...

...Then broke it again :evil:

That match was actually a sham, like for fucks sake a donkey with a blindfold would have made fewer cataclismic mistakes

Although Sol didn't help with the backpass, Fabianski literally calculated all the worst things he could do in that situatation in a split second a consecuitvely carried them out

To be fair to him, he tried to hold onto the ball but the referee litterally yanked it away from him and gave it to the porto player.

Obviously the keeper didn't have the experience to know that they could take a quick free kick like that, i would blame sol campbell as much as the keeper because he should have yelled clear it instead of assuming the goalkeeper knew he had touched it and he shouldn't have switched off after the freekick was given, he bloody turned around like "omgffswtfzelcoptered" and they took the freekick behind him and scored, if he was switched on he could atleast have stopped them from taking the free kick quickly.

Its a confidence issue he has... He almost never shouts or communicates adequatly

Do you think its confidence? or do you think hes so used to playing with experienced players than he automatically assumes they know what hes doing?

I wouldn't be suprised if it was a mix of both, because i even myself sometimes get into situations like this when im playing with my friends instead of the adult i play with every week because of the experience and standard difference.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... to-arsenal

Look at that, same ref that didn't spoke Henrys hand ball aswel, i didn't know that.

Met

Excuses, excuses. I always fancied that Arsenal are capable of getting a few trophies but they shot themselves in the foot by defensive mistakes. They attack as a team, even Verm and Gallas, go on little runs. The problem is they don't defend as a team. They don't trust in themselves and other team mates to do the job correctly. Going by their track record, I don't blame them.

About the first goal, first of all, Fabianksi should've been in that situation. As a keeper you wait to judge the speed and height of the ball so to see if you can deal with it. Anyway, Verm and Sol are decent defenders and can deal with 90% of the crosses. Secondly, Fab is more than equipped to deal with situation as a Premier League goalkeeper. Both put together makes it even more hilarious that he let in such a ridiculous goal.

About the second goal, the ref was too quick to blow his whistle. I don't think Sol would have touched it knowing Fab wants to pick it up and there is no blatant kicking motion from him so the ref would have been okay to let it slide (like the blantant Rosicky penalty, I might add). Then he grabs of Fab knowing full well he wants to slow the game down so his team mates get back. Sol is slightly in shock. The ref gives the player the ball, blocks Sol, even though his attempt was forceful enough and allows it to go on. If Fab was switched on he would been by the scorer's feet.

So Klc to answer your question, it's a confidence issue. All the defensive players, including keepers (bar Song) aren't confident in themselves or their team mates. It's like each one is defending different goals instead of working with each other to defend one goal. Even Fabregas said, this is "schoolboy" defending.

Arsenal brilliant going forward, bollocks going back. :roll:

Did anyone else notice how slow campbell was? Yeah yeah, he's been out for years, the orignial sweeper is injured, but does Arsenal really need campbell? Coulnd't they have put on a younger lad to do what he did? He made a few mistakes, was slow, and after his mistake he played like sh*t....

Arsenal must have someone else to put there, someone from the younger team that has the experience, for me Campbell isn't cutting it!!

Also, Arsenal needs a # 9.. Where's Eduardo? They looked a little fuzzy uptop, Bendtner is good, but they need a true # 9, apart from the danish...

I knew Porto was going to win, and I think Arsenal deserve this result for being so shaky.. Thats my opinion :roll:
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

I thought Campbell had a solid game besides from the back pass that got fucked up which realistically isn't that much his fault although he should have prevented it by communicating.

He scored Arsenals only goal, and was the only Arsenal player not getting bullied on the pitch to be honest, thats what Sol offers, hes a tall strong header of the ball and although hes not quick he has enough experience to be a great defender.

I think his game was below average, and that mistake was clearly his fault, he had pressure on and everything, it was lack of communication but as the "experience" he has, which is pretty much all that he has left, if he knew the keep was insecure he should have blasted it to the sideline or something... It was 50%-50%, but a world class defender wouldn't have done that I say...There was a Porto man getting closer and closer to the ball and Campbell was coveringg it like if he had all day long..

He scored Arsenals goal, but realistically anyone would have scored that, he was a feet away from the Goal, and the ball went right to his head, credit to whoever assisted him...

It looked like everytime he BARELY could defend it... Falcao beat him a few times sillilly, and he had to make an unrealistic effort to cover his bad marking, one was almost a PK in the beggining...

Yeah, I think Campbell is out of shape and slow, I'm a harsh critic, but you could see that on the pitch.. Also you could see the worry in his face...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'