Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Round of 16 UCL

wow what a game.... after the second goal, i was jumping around the house. wilshere, koscielny, and fabregas had great games but valdes should probably not have allowed that first goal

Who won?

damnit. the gunners defended too well, suffocating the players and attacked on the counter excellently.

Koscielny was too good and dominant in the second half. After finally watching Wilshere play today, I can see why Capello is hyping him up. That kid was money today.

To be honest, so far this season, I have never see us struggle as much we did against Arsenal.

Wow, I'm on such a high right now after watching that game. I thought we looked so sloppy after the first 20 minutes of the game up until half. We didn't press during that time and I was certain that Barcelona would really open us up if that continued into the second half. Luckily, we were able to press a bit better in the 2nd to create some sloppy passes from Barca, which led to some counters. I thought Walcott would threaten but looked fairly tame today. I wish Bendtner would have pulled back his last chance to RvP because 3-1 going into Camp Nou would have been HUGE.

Can't complain really, I'm just glad we were able to play well after the display from last year.

Ah I really wish I could've seen this game. From the reports I've read, it was a pretty damn good game. Apparently Wilshire had another good game. If Arsenal win this tie, who thinks Fabregas decides to stay with Arsenal? He seems to have a pretty good partnership going with Wilshire. They're both young and could do a lot of damage as time goes on and they develop together. Maybe an EPL version of Xavi-Iniesta? :)
I like Arsenal and their play and if not United I hope them or Bayern win the whole thing.

Haha just cause the score was 2-1 doesn't mean arsenal are gonna win the tie at all.. Let me tell you stonecold that they wont... Barca could have been 0-3 up in the first half they didn't finish there chances, I saw a obsessed Messi to break the record of not being able to score in England in his career yet, which ultimately affected the tem negatively.... And Cesc heart will always be blau-grana, whoever wins(barca will) this tie wont decide his future, he wants to go back and he has expressed it to Wenger before.. He can be happy in Arsenal, but its not his country or culture or home, and im sure soon we'll see him in blue and red.. Messi had a perfectly valid disallowed goal..

Wilshire was really good, so was Nasri and Van Persie, but I think Cesc was Arsenal's best, how he controlled the game, his touch is marvelous, and he always did exelent things with the ball the game ocurred, flowed and circulated through his boots and he made arsenal play...

In spite of me being sure Barca was good enough to atleast tie, im glad Arsenal won for many reasons.. It makes the second leg much more intesresting, and it showed the world that Barca are beatable you just need to play very well and have the tools(great players like Arsenal), counter attack properly and perfectly amongst other reasons.

stephen8789 wrote:
Who won?

Haha, it really sucks to be you man..

You missed one of the best football matches i have ever seen...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Messi was offside panch, you might be able to argue that it was a tie in which case you are supposed to give the tie to the attacker but that rarely happens with refs these days.

Never said they will, did i?
Quote:
Ah I really wish I could've seen this game. From the reports I've read, it was a pretty damn good game. Apparently Wilshire had another good game. If Arsenal win this tie, who thinks Fabregas decides to stay with Arsenal? He seems to have a pretty good partnership going with Wilshire.

Nope.

I saw some the highlights (still looking for the full game somewhere online) and it seemed like Cesc was controlling the game. Their counter attack seemed to be working very well.
I don't think it's wise to count out Arsenal so fast. They've been playing well as of late and who knows what the next 3 weeks hold. Now, I do think Barcelona will end up winning and moving on, but I don't think you can count out a hungry, Arsenal team so quickly. This Arsenal team might be the most motivated team out of all the teams left. They're a top 3 team in the top league in Europe but they're without a trophy since 2005 (or is it 2004?). They want to get that monkey off their back.

meh we have the habit of doing badly in the first leg of the round of 16, considering stuttgart last season and lyon the season before. hopefully Barcelona recovers because arsenal are much better than those two teams.

For those of you that live in America where do you watch the game, europian games are not on any tv stations that I get

fox soccer has an online source. uefa.com lets you buy games. Fox soccer channel is avaliable most places espn has some games uhh justin.tv occasionally has streams.

MyP2P.eu isn't bad for streams either. Just go to the ones listed as "other" for a straight stream with no added software.

I think it's funny how people talk about the missed chances of Barca like they magically add up to something. If Chelsea could add of all their missed/squandered chances up to some wacky equation that equaled goals....they'd be winning the league right now. The point is, Barca didn't finish and we managed to get just one more goal. I know that's not saying anything about the return leg, but it's better going in knowing you can advance with a 1-1 scoreline(3-2 on aggregate). If the today's game ended 1-1, the we'd really have our work cut out for us. I wouldn't count us out, as we pulled off a come from behind win while many people didn't give us a chance. Call it what you will, but it's pretty much a clean slate walking into Camp Nou and 1 away goal would certainly pile on the pressure.

to give credit where its due..........during those 90 mins, barca = shit and arsenal = great

Quote:

Never said you said they will, your just suggestion something that to me is highly, highly unlikely and I would no better than that... Barcelona need a 1-0 and they are through, did you know that?

Messi missed a few sitters
Pedro missed a sitter
Messi had an unfair disallowed goal...
Barca missed a lot of chances

This was en emirates... Great job for winning on your own ground, so did Rubin Kazaan and a few others..

But you did allow chances and you weren't at all superior.. Barca has 61% of the possesion and had 11 shots on goal, Arsenal had 13..

Its hard to play on another ground and Arsenal will see that when they travle to Barcelona, it was 2-2 last year and they got butfucked 4-1, they have much less injuries, but if you are blinded by this 2-1, just because Arsenal had 1 more goal than barcelona doesn't mean they where a btter team.. You can open your champaigns and sing songs of victories, but those 90 minutes didn't reflect any superiority for the gunners.. and if you think they are about to go to Nou Camp and find a positive result out there playing like how they did yesterday(which by the way i think is playing a near to perfect game and to the limit for them) then you are terribly mistaken lad..

Pique is missing the next match, and i don't know if puyol is gonna be back yet? This is worrying to say the least for the cule's.
Quote:
Messi was offside panch, you might be able to argue that it was a tie in which case you are supposed to give the tie to the attacker but that rarely happens with refs these days.

Nick, tell me how Messi was offside?
http://www.footytube.com/video/arsenal- ... lona-73416

Quote:
I think it's funny how people talk about the missed chances of Barca like they magically add up to something

No one said they would add up to something, but if i wear a gunner fan i would be relieved instead of celebrating atm... I would have been relieved that Barca didn't put away the chances that they had which could have had the score 0-3 with ease like Villa said by the end of the first time.. I would have been relieved that the ref disallowed a fair goal by Messi, i would have been relieved that the Ref didn't call Arshavin's hand.. etc... And after the match I would have said it was an exellent match that was very levelled, and that in Camp Nou the gunners would have to play an extraordinary match, and get a little lucky to make it to the quarter finals...

I wouldn't say something like this:
Quote:
If Arsenal win this tie, who thinks Fabregas decides to stay with Arsenal?

Cause that suggests Arsenal dominated, had more chances, and could have won by more..Which is far from the truth..Thinking of making it through already just by a 2-1 that to be fair was the combination of a Valdes blooper, the hand of the ref, and some wonderful gunner football.(credit)
Quote:
and 1 away goal would certainly pile on the pressure.

Surely pile on the pressure, just like Bendtner's last year right :lol:

Arsenal started playing best when Guardiola took Villa out for Keita, possibly to try to protect the scoreline? Whatever he tried to do didn't really work
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

panchester07 wrote:
Quote:

Never said you said they will, your just suggestion something that to me is highly, highly unlikely and I would no better than that... Barcelona need a 1-0 and they are through, did you know that?

Messi missed a sitter
Pedro missed a sitter
Messi had an unfair disallowed goal...
Barca missed a lot of chances

This was en emirates... Great job for winning on your own ground, so did Rubin Kazaan and a few others..

But you did allow chances and you weren't at all superior.. Barca has 61% of the possesion and had 11 shots on goal, Arsenal had 13..

Its hard to play on another ground and Arsenal will see that when they travle to Barcelona, it was 2-2 last year and they got butfucked 4-1, they have much less injuries, but if you are blinded by this 2-1, just because Arsenal had 1 more goal than barcelona doesn't mean they where a btter team.. You can open your champaigns and sing songs of victories, but those 90 minutes didn't reflect any superiority for the gunners.. and if you think they are about to go to Nou Camp and find a positive result out there playing like how they did yesterday(which by the way i think is playing a near to perfect game and to the limit for them) then you are terribly mistaken lad..

Pique is missing the next match, and i don't know if puyol is gonna be back yet? This is worrying to say the least for the cule's.

This is what I said in my previous post. If Barca miss sitters at home, and we can pull out a 1-1....we go through. Arguably Barca's best defender has been Abidal for the last little bit and missing Puyol probably did have an effective(captain+inspiration+partnership with Pique). With Pique missing the next leg and Puyol still a question mark, the line-up issue is reversing from last year. Hell, we didn't have Sagna yesterday and I was sure that Barca would expose Eboue much more than they did.

Last year, We had Silvestre because that was our only option. Even I cut shred Silvestre so it's not going to be the same game this year. We only had 3 players to start yesterday that started last year. 3. three. tres. 3 players of 11.

I don't think anyone could objectively say they we were a better side yesterday, but our lack of pressing for 30 minutes(minute 15ish to half) is what allowed the possession stats to be what they are. We were on the back foot for a 1/3rd of the game.

I don't think anyone say it's going to be easy to push through this tie and I'm not exactly betting we will. I just know we've got a much better chance now than we did when we were down 1-0. Considering this Barca team is most likely the most hyped(not saying overhyped, but the Media touts them as the best side ever), I think we have a reason to celebrate. If you don't think we were a better team yesterday, I defer you to the score line. We finished, Barca didn't(and you can disregard the offside/onside goal as that happens week in and week out, yet there seems to push to chance the system away from human error. If it happened against Arsenal, I would have the same gripe but doesn't change anything now).