Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

socceroos r underated

yeah the socceroos are better than most people think. we also drew with the netherlands and beat greece and we nearly beat argentina (it was a good match). also as a matter of fact they beat a full strength england squad 3-1 a few years ago in london.
there performance should be ok since the ffa got rid of graham arnold
Sig by me

Alexio1092 wrote:
Graham Arnold didn't have the experience to reign successfully over the Socceroos, here's hoping Guss Lite makes a healthy difference for years to come..

Guss Lite, its Pim Verbeek!?!?!?!
fuck you

OFWGLLDGAF

Yes, yes it is Davidson9. :P

I totally agree that they're underated.. I know that we've only qualified for 2 WCs (gonna be 3 soon :) ) but we have a strong side that is filled with quality players. In the past we've beaten England, Brazil, France (both confed cup), Greece and recently.. Holland. Our most strongest recent team (in my opinion) feature players from teams such West Ham, Everton, Fulham, Newcastle United, Celtic, Hull City, PSV, Palermo, Blackburn, AEK and Galatasary. If we had consistency then i think we should be ranked within the top 20.. but saying that there are alot of other teams that should be ranked higher too.

To become a strong side Australia has to win the Asian cup, full stop. They also must consistently qualify for the world cup over a number of years and get out of the group. I watch all of their games and always go to their matches in Syd but all they seem to win is friendlies. Friendlies are supposed to be about giving players a chance to perform for the coach, a trial, and serious results are expected from cup matches and qualifiers.

The truth is plain and simple, good teams perform in major tournaments. That is why your teams like Italy and Brazil can get away with the occasional loss to some second rate side, because people know they will bounce back and more often than not they do. Players mean nothing if they dont play well, and Australia has fantastic players we dont have to worry about that. It will take time but i would say winning the next Asian cup and making it out of the group of the world cup 2010 are minimum requirements for Australia to become a truly top team.

Theres no doubt the Socceroos are a decent team. I think that they're really starting to get a grip on Asia. The thing about Australias performances in recent times that really shows thier progress, is that we're able to get results without the big guns (Cahill, Kewell, Neill etc.). We were able to qualify for the next stage of AFC qualifying without Tim and Lucas most of the time.

Its good to see Pim putting some faith in some of the A-league players as well, if you guys have seen the squad he named for the game against Indonesia.
Sig by me

Stick to rugbyt, you'll never beat the motherland in soccer.
www.mission-control.tumblr.com

Actual question:Australia are not underrated by any means.They were before wc 06 but now they are viewed as a decent team who could even defeat giants of the beautiful game.

IMO:Australia should first focus on developing youth players into superstars.Like improving the level of a-league so that Australian players could get into big teams of Europe.Then they should turn there eyes on asia,confederations and wc cups.lastly,I don't like their style of playing football,they should make it more attractive by playing aggressive football.

Quote:
Stick to rugbyt, you'll never beat the motherland in soccer

If you're talking about England, then yeah we actually did beat them.
Sig by me

dun really rmb Oz beatin Eng bt leaest we got to a major competition(2006) despite A-League being around for a few years.

Compare that to Eng, who couldn't get into Euro despite being the "motherland"

Wanderer wrote:
dun really rmb Oz beatin Eng bt leaest we got to a major competition(2006) despite A-League being around for a few years.

Appoint the Ginger Sven and see what happens to your team !!!

Australia wouldn't have won the Oceania group with that gimp in charge.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ratherton wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Appoint the Ginger Sven and see what happens to your team !!!

Australia wouldn't have won the Oceania group with that gimp in charge.

Brazil wouldn't have won there world cup qualifiers with him in charge, imo he was the worst manager weve had in charge of england, well its between the first sven and ginger sven but there about as good as each other.
i was made to ignite

Yeah theres loadsa ifs and maybes, but who knows? If Grosso hadn't dived, maybe we could have won the world cup.

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

I jz think that the way things are improving, the A-league will be a force to be reckoned soon. maybe by 2012. Tho according to the Mayan Calendar thats when the world ends, but that's another story.

Yeah, I think the revamping of our national competition has helped the Socceroos. The Jets and Mariners should at least get out of the group stage in the Champions league, although I dont see the Jets doing an Adelaide United. I expect the Mariners will at least make the quarters.

Also on the A-league, this season has been phenomenal. Some of the quality of the passing, the goals, free kicks and entertainment and drama has been sensational. You cant miss a game once it heats up.

Anyway, if the Socceroos get to World Cup and get out of the group stage, then I'll be satisfied. Pim Verbeek's no Guus Hiddink, he's done well to get us through the qualifying so far, but whether he can go further than Guus did, I'm not sure.
Sig by me

They are!!!

Some of the quality of the overseas players are superb.

Most A-leaguers dont do it for me, except Archie.